Address block order

When I create a mail merge it uses my title field in excel as the field before the name where Mr. Or Ms. would go. Instead I want the title to go after the name as in Richard Jones, CFO.  I select the field and match it to Job Title but it does not display in the merged results a. Where am I going wrong here?
You would do better to forego the address block, which is quite limited in what it can do, and simply insert the mergefields where you want them.
Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your response.  It is an excellent work around, but the address block used to work and should be fixed so no work around it needed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Address Block does work (within its limitations). Whatever field you're using that you want to appear after the name should be specified as the Suffix, not as the Title.
Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you again for your input, but using the suffix is simply another work around.  If the address block was not meant to be customized the optional fields would not appear. The intent is there and further the software is indeed setup to discern the difference between titles that are placed before the name and those placed after a name as you have a field "courtesy title" and a field " job title".  They should fix this. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It ain't broke, so there's no reason "They should fix this". You should use it as it is intended to be used instead of complaining that it doesn't work some other way and expecting MS to change the way it works just for you.
Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It ain't broke, so there's no reason "They should fix this". You should use it as it is intended to be used instead of complaining that it doesn't work some other way and expecting MS to change the way it works just for you.

You yourself said to use individual fields instead of the address block pointing out its limitations. If it was not intended to work the way I said they would not offer the ability to customize the address block. Once again I would point out in previous versions it worked that way. Under edit recipients you could drag the columns to the order you wanted and in the address block function simply match the fields you want. The fix is not about me.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You yourself said to use individual fields instead of the address block pointing out its limitations. If it was not intended to work the way I said they would not offer the ability to customize the address block. Once again I would point out in previous versions it worked that way. Under edit recipients you could drag the columns to the order you wanted and in the address block function simply match the fields you want. The fix is not about me.

The Address Block has been creaky for more than 20 years. It works, as designed, but is of far less utility than using individual fields. MS has problems with the program that really make it not useful as advertised and designed (Master Documents "Feature" or Numbering) that should probably be fixed first. Anyone needing to use Mail Merge can get the information from a data file into the address.

BTW, the answers you've received are coming from your fellow Word users, not from Microsoft employees. This is primarily a peer-to-peer support forum. We can tell you how to use the program, we can't make or authorize changes to it.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Followup. Got through to Microsoft today. They agreed it should work exactly as I expected and are looking into it. 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I congratulate you on your persistence. Please follow up and let us know what they tell you.
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 20, 2022 Views 1,541 Applies to: