Absence of "Exclamation" event sound in certain Office 2010 apps

I installed Office Pro 2010 (32-bit) on my Win 7 Pro x64 system.  I have noticed that there is no "Exclamation" event sound when closing either Word, Excel, or PowerPoint when the Exclamation window appears to "Save Changes".  However, the Exclamation event sound does activate when closing Outlook  when asked to Delete files in the "Deleted Items" folder.  I would have expected the Exclamation event wave to sound in all MS Office 2010 apps.

I did have Office 2007 on my system first, but uninstalled it prior to installing Office 2010.  All Exclamation events did sound in Office 2007.

Hi John,

Let us refer to the following thread which discusses a similar issue and check if it helps:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-word/word-2010-no-sound-notification-when-closing/b54c0f08-9407-4f32-85de-07033759d653

If the above information does not help, then you may reply for further assistance.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Girish:

Thank you for the reply.  I am afraid, though, the thread does not exactly relate to my issue.

The only sound missing for me in Office 2010 is the Windows Exclamation event sound when exiting either Word, Excel, or PowerPoint when the document was changed.  The Exclamation window that asks "Do you want to save changes you made to ........." does not active the event wave file.  Strangely, though, Outlook 2010 will activate the event wave file upon closing and there are e-mails in the "Deleted" folder.

Therefore, my situation is not that Office 2010 is closing too quickly or that there is no wave file associated to the system Exclamation event or the sound is muted.

To me, this issue seems to be a "bug" in Office 2010 - perhaps when the 32-bit version of Office 2010 is installed on a 64-bit machine.

This issue is not a show stopper, just an annoyance to me after being used to the wave file executing when exiting the Office app.

Thanks again.

-John

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I contacted Microsoft Tech Support today regarding not having Exclamation Event sounds in Office 2010.  They informed me that MS decided to disable these event sounds in Office 2010 and Office 2013.

FWIW: They offered to log my issue as a request to re-enable the event sounds in Office for future release.

-John

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having exactly the same issue - windows sounds such as exclamation will sound in Outlook 2010 but NOT in WORD.... strange 

can't find a fix

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Raise the issue at http://word.uservoice.com/
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 317 Applies to: