A change I make to the Word 2010 template does not remain

Dear Friends,
I have tried several times to make a permanent change to my Word template, but it does not stay changed.  In the Advanced Properties box, under the Summary tab, the Company field is populated with "Hewlett-Packard Company."  I have deleted it and saved the change to the Word template (normal.dotm), but every time I create a new Word document and go into the Advanced Properties box, the HP name is still there.  I want the Advanced Properties in my Word template to contain just my name (which I already put in).  Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Joel
Answer
Answer

In my case, using a Toshiba Computer, the company property appeared as Toshiba so I went searched through the Registry and replaced the RegCompany in all instances where Microsoft was shown as the Publisher, but I think that it was actually the Company and\or the Company Name values in the following key that may have been the applicable one.

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-541087821-3086915913-1331593138-1005\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common\UserInfo

One thing to note however is that it was not until I have renamed the Normal.dotm template to OldNormal.dotm so that Word created a new one that a new blank document showed the company as the one to which I had changed it.  So it appears that the name is embedded in the Template based on what is stored in the Registry.

One more note, after deleting the new Normal.dotm and then renaming the original one back to Normal.dotm, then a new blank document displays the new company name.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 1,368 Applies to: