Large Visio to PDF

I have a VERY large Visio organizational chart with hundreds of staff listed.  It is now 436" x 24".

Visio works just fine with it and I am able to print on a continuous roll printer.  However, when I try to save as .PDF, the pdf converter will only convert the first 200".  I am using Visio 2010.  When I used the previous version of Visio, along with Adobe Professional 9, it converted the whole thing.  So, even though Visio 2010 has .PDF conversion built-in now, I installed the same Adobe Pro 9 with Visio 2010 just to see if the Adobe Pro was the trick; no luck.

Does anyone know how to create a PDF from a Visio 2010 file with dimensions over 200" wide?  (Aside from shrinking or re-formatting the org chart to fit within the new limit that I have run into.)

By-the-way, I can still take the large dimension Visio 2010 file back into an older PC with the previous version of Visio and Adobe on it - it still converts just fine, so the file is not corrupt or anything.

William

This is an interesting limitation.  It is not Visio, but the shared Office 2010 PDF creator, which is used by Visio and the other applications.  I see the same thing when saving from a Publisher file with a page size over 200 inches as well.

How did your older set up work - were you using a PDF writer type print driver?  You should be able to use the same method with Visio 2010 and skip the built-in PDF creation utility altogether.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” if this response helps you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm glad you were able to print your chart on a BIG sheet.  I am having nothing but trouble with my Vision 2010 Org Chart.  It's only 24 x 65, but every time I try to print to the HP Designjet 5500ps 60 the print get smaller and smaller!  Either that or it cuts off part of the drawing.  I have fiddled with every print setting I can find to no avail.  What is your secret?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The first step I take when trying to print a large file is to go into my printer definitions - at the Windows level.  There, I define a new paper size under the custom properties of my large-format printer to match the resultant page width and length I need.  Sadly, I have not found a way in ANY application to tell it that a Roll is being used.

I sure wish there were a way to simply indicate the width and specify roll.  (but, it does not work that way)

Once I define a new paper size at the Windows/printer driver level, I go into Visio and select that printer and that paper source (under the Page Setup dialog, Printer Setup tab, Printer Paper setting).  Then, under the Page Size tab, I choose "Let Visio expand the page as needed."

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hm,

No luck yet.

I don't know how to actually go about working with the exact same setup I used to have (bypassing the new PDF Creator for 2010) - due to the Adobe 9 product installing differently on the different versions of Visio.  With my prior version of Visio, the Adobe PDF converter installed as a new button just below the top menu line in the application. I simply clicked the Adobe button, specified a filename, and it converted.

Now, with the new Ribbon, the installation of Adobe 9 Pro does not install a button.  All I can access is the Save As... PDF (which uses the 2010 PDF Creator).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 9, 2023 Views 5,346 Applies to: