Cannot open your default e-mail folders. File access is denied. You do not have the permissions required to access the file C:\Users\......\Email removed for privacy.

I am getting the error message "Cannot open your default e-mail folders. File access is denied. You do not have the permissions required to access the file C:\Users\......\*** Email address is removed for privacy ***." when trying to open my Outlook 2010.

Basically the C drive on my computer was almost full so with Outlook closed I moved the Outlook Files folder from the C drive to the D drive which had space. The Outlook Files folder contains the profiles of my email accounts.

When I tried to open Outlook it would not and gave the error "Cannot open your default e-mail folders. File access is denied. You do not have the permissions required to access the file C:\Users\......\*** Email address is removed for privacy ***." so I moved the files back to their original location. 

I am still getting the error and have tried re-booting the computer to no avail. How can I access my email as it was?

Many thanks!

Answer
Answer

Gosh what a mess!

The first thing to note is that importing a pst file is NEVER the correct way to migrate Outlook data.

See here for the correct way.

Secondly, all you need to do to make a current backup is to close Outlook and make a copy of the current pst file....

Thirdly, do Control Panel-Mail-Show Profiles. Highlight the relevant Profile, click on Properties and then the Data files button. Add the moved pst file to that profile and set it as default.

Do that with the other two profiles.

See if that helps.

If you find my response helpful, please click on the "Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!
My Windows Blog

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2022 Views 12,099 Applies to: