Badgeros
Had this question 1
Question
Badgeros asked on

Cannot "move" email between forlders within PST file

Hello,

I am experiencing strange behaviour with my new installation of Office 2010.  I cannot freely drag messages from one folder to another (within my personal PST file).

At the same time I cannot undo file movement.  Say I delete an email (not permanently) I used to be able to choose undo and back it came.  

So this has a double effect.  If say I dragged an email to the wrong folder I cannot undo it and then I cannot manually move it back to the ordinal folder or any other.

I have discovered that if I choose Junk Email / never block sender... I can then move the email....but only once.  It does not remember this I have to choose "never block sender again" and then can move "once" again to any folder.  It seems that it is some kind of a security setting!

Strange.....any help appreciated.

Guruprasad Ra
Found this helpful 0
Guruprasad Ra replied on
Microsoft

What is the type of email account configured in Outlook (POP3, IMAP or an Exchange)?

What happens when you try to move an email from one folder to another?

Explain “At the same time I cannot undo file movement. Say I delete an email (not permanently) I used to be able to choose undo and back it came”

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Found this helpful 0
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] replied on
MVP Community Moderator MCC: Content Curator Most Recommended Discussion

What type of account are you using - POP, IMAP, Hotmail/Live, Exchange?

Brian
Badgeros
Found this helpful 0
Badgeros replied on

I have several POP accounts and one IMAP account.  For one account I have both IMAP and POP3 options loaded.  I use the POP3 for general inbox download and then use the IMAP to see other folders on the server like SPAM where i can delete in Outlook and not have to go and log in to a web site.  I have had this setup in Outlook 2007 and 2003 before without issue.

With regards to moving an email..... i should be more specific.  I CAN move an email from my inbox to another folder ONCE.  Eg. I can move from inbox to a folder called received, or deleted or any other.   But only ONCE.  If I move the file by mistake and then go into the folder to try and move the email back  to the original or to another folder I cannot.   I used to be able to move emails freely and expect this is the correct function.

With regards to what happens.  If I try and drag an email to another folder...nothing.  No error message nothing.  Same if I choose to "move to" another folder.  Nothing.

WIth regards to UNDO.  I can choose to delete a message and it goes into the deleted folder.  In past i could click UNDO and it would come back to the original folder.  No more!  Same basic problem.  The message can be moved only once and when it has been moved cannot be manually moved back or to another folder or by way of the UNDO button.

It seems that when the message has been moved once it is somehow tagged not to be able to move again.....

Hope this helps.

Guruprasad Ra
Found this helpful 0
Guruprasad Ra replied on
Microsoft

In which account you are facing the issue of moving emails (Pop3 or IMAP)?

If this is happening with IMAP account, remove and re- add the email account and check the results.

Incase if you are facing this issue with the .POP3 account, repair the PST file and check the results.

Badgeros
Found this helpful 0
Badgeros replied on

I am having the problem with the POP accounts.  I have repaired the .PST files some time and this did not help.
Guruprasad Ra
Found this helpful 0
Guruprasad Ra replied on
Microsoft

Create a new Outlook Profile and open the Problem .PST file, now try moving the files and check if this helps.

How to create a new Outlook Profile:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

If this works, this might be an issue with the profile.

Badgeros
Found this helpful 0
Badgeros replied on

Hi this is a good suggestion and I thought I was getting somewhere but no.  After creating a new profile and testing not only my currrent .pst but also the new default .pst created with the new profile I have the same problem.

However I have further discovered that it seems to be only with selected mail.  For example I could move a spam message anywhere and however I chose.  But I still cannot do the same with most of the ligitimate messages I have. 

Also note that I have completely removed my IMAP account from Outlook and now only use POP with the same problem.

The dilema remains.

Thanks
Diane Poremsky (@outlooktips)
Found this helpful 0
Diane Poremsky (@outlooktips) replied on
MVP Community Moderator

Is only junk spam affected? Is the problem that the safe senders list doesn't retain names?

(Undo doesn't work when you use the not junk option to move mail. That's by design.)

Diane Poremsky [Outlook MVP]
Outlook Resources: http://www.slipstick.com
http://www.outlook-tips.net