Cannot delete Imap folders in Outlook 2010 even as administrator.

I signed up for icloud.com and got a .me address It is set up as an IMAP account. I went in Outlook and created folders. I made rules for emails to go into these folders. They did. I then (not very smart) went to icloud.com and created different folders. That got all screwed up. I was getting emails and not seeing them on my iphone. I went to outlook emptied these folders and deleted the rules for the folders. I am trying to delete those folders that are empty in Outlook, but it will not let me. It says Folder does not exist. These folders aren't subscribed or anything and it won't let me know because they don't exist. I went in as administrator and cannot even find what kinds of permissions I have regarding outlook delting folders. What the heck do I do to get rid of the folders in outlook. They do not exist in the icloud. I have deleted the email account in outlook and then set it up again, but it still show those flippin folders. I am on Windows 7 and using Outlook 2010
Answer
Answer

Ok, this is what worked for me and IMAP:

Click on file (top left corner)

Select account settings and the click on the acct settings box that appears.

Double click on the acct that you want to delete folders from.

Uncheck the "test acct settings..." box.

Click on "more settings."

Click on the "deleted items" tab

Click on "more folders"

Select "all" tab

Click on "query"

Select the file you don't want anymore

Click "unsubscribe"

Click "apply" and "ok"

You will still see the file in this space but it should disappear from your boxes you see on your email screen. This way if you change your mind later, you can go back in and subscribe to that folder and it will show back up on your email page.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
If after deleting the account and readding it you are still seeing the folders, then the IMAP server is telling Outlook they exist.  With IMAP accounts, the folders you see are controlled by the server.
Brian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 15, 2023 Views 9,590 Applies to: