OneNote 2010 can't connect to Windows Live

I have Office 2010 which is updated on my Windows 7 {64bit} on my computer. The OS is updated too.

I bought a Windows 7 phone {Samsung Focus} and I created a Windows Live account plus I installed Live Essentials on my computer. If I'm correct, I need to use Skydrive to sync OneNote between my computer and phone.

The problem is that OneNote can't connect to Live. I've been trying for days. I have 6 notebooks in OneNote. I choose to share on the web, the web location is Windows Live. After the pop up of contacting server comes up I get the message " Unable to connect to Windows live. Below this there is just the icon "Share Notebook" which is grayed out.  I've tried this with all of the notebooks. I have tried this while my Live account is open on the browser. As I understand a login window should pop up, however this never pops up. OneNote on its own is deciding to locate and log on with the credentials.

I'm going crazy over this, any help is appreciated!

Answer
Answer
I have figured this out, after trying all the things above.  It came down to one thing, two-factor authentication.  If you have this enabled, to sign into OneNote on your PC you have to use your App Password, not your actual password to your Live account.  So log into your Live account, Click on Security Info, and then click create a new app password.  It will then display the current, or new, app password.  Now use that password that it gives you in OneNote and everything should sign right in.  Now I am able to sync all my files from OneNote to my phone without any issues, without messing with IE settings, and all that other stuff.

45 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Hi There,

Not sure if you have resolved this issue yet!

I recently had the same issue on my Windows 7 64-bit pc, when I tried to connect to my Sky Drive account through One Note I was experiencing 'Can't Connect Error', Tried restarting WebClient and cached credentials this did'nt work, found out this was not related to any services but related to IE settings, by performing a reset of all settings and advanced settings this corrected the issue, I am now able to connect Sky Drive via One Note with out any problems

Martin
Martin | CompTIA A+/MCTS: Dynamics CRM

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 4, 2024 Views 67,053 Applies to: