Microsoft Office 2010 Setup has Stopped Working (Error)

I have researched this issue and the setup error is still occurring.

I do not have any previous Microsoft Office installed; therefore, does not need to be removed.
However, I recently did an SSD upgrade and fully formatted my HDD which had Microsoft 2007 on it. Currently, my laptop is running both SSD (Win7 Boot) + HDD (Large storage). Everything on this laptop is working fine because there are zero issues installing windows updates, ASUS updates, games, etc.

Furthermore, just in-case the formatting has failed on the HDD, I used "Microsoft fix it" software to uninstall any Microsoft Office 2007 traces. I also used Microsoft Fix it to uninstall Microsoft Office 2010 if any downloads.

Lastly, I did some SSD tweaking and changed temporary download files to my HDD instead of my SSD to max my SSD storage space.

I have provided the error log when trying to install and it is an exceptionally weird issue.

PERF: TickCount=51199 Name=OBootStrapper::Run Description=Begin function
Operating System version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1. Platform ID: 2
Running 32-bit setup on a 64-bit operating system.
Command line: .\setup.exe
No command line arguments given
Verify file signature in "E:\%USERP~1\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPAD5E.tmp\setup.exe"
E:\%USERP~1\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPAD5E.tmp\setup.exe is trusted.
Verify file signature in "E:\%USERP~1\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPAD5E.tmp\Updates\OSETUP.DLL"
E:\%USERP~1\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPAD5E.tmp\Updates\OSETUP.DLL is trusted.
Using setup controller dll at [E:\%USERP~1\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPAD5E.tmp\Updates\OSETUP.DLL].
PERF: TickCount=52790 Name=OBootStrapper::Run Description=Calling RunSetup

PERF: TickCount=52790 Name=RunSetup Description=Begin function
Catalyst execution began: 01/16/2013 12:41:38.
Setupexe Resiliency Mode is set to [PerformIfApplicable]; thus Resiliency is [disabled] for the [InstallExecutionMode]
Searching for updated versions of resource files under the 'updates' folder [E:\%USERP~1\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPAD5E.tmp\updates].
Found [0] resource files under the update folder.
Searching for default versions of resource files under the folder [E:\%USERP~1\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPAD5E.tmp].
Found [1] resource files under the default folder.
Running in [InstallExecutionMode]. Run from TEMP folder at [E:\%USERP~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Setup00001b68].
Loaded resource file [E:\%USERP~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Setup00001b68\OSETUPUI.DLL] (CultureTag=en-US).
Loaded Dll : E:\%USERP~1\AppData\Local\Temp\OWPAD5E.tmp\Updates\OSETUP.DLL.
Catalyst version is : 14.0.6015.1000
JobExecutionMode is InstallExecutionMode.
Error: Failed to check free space in drive "" ErrorCode: 3(0x3).

Catalyst execution finished: 01/16/2013 12:41:39.  Return code: 30015.  Exception caught: ErrorCodeOnly.
PERF: TickCount=53274 Name=RunSetup Description=End function

Please help me solve this problem has college has started already!

Thank you,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for posting.

This issue may occur if Microsoft Help Folder is corrupted. You may follow the steps given below to rename the Microsoft Help Folder and check if it helps:

1.    Click on Start, go to All Programs, click Accessories,  double click Run and type %Programdata% and click OK.

2.    Rename the Microsoft Help folder as Microsoft Help. OLD. Open Office application and check if you are able to use Help features from within the applications.

Then restart the computer in Windows Clean Boot and try to install Office 2010 and check if the issue occurs:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure you restart the computer in normal mode after troubleshooting.

Hope the suggestion is helpful. If you need further assistance reply so we can assist you.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

There is no "Microsoft Help" folder

I have also tried "Windows Clean Boot" as well with no working results.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Method 1:

Follow these steps to clear all temporary files from the computer. Follow these steps:

• Quit all applications.
  • Click Start, go to Run.
  • Type temp and hit OK. (Also remove all the contents from this location %temp% and prefetch folders).
  • Delete all the files present in the folder.

Copy Office 2010 setup file to the local drive, launch it from the saved location and install it using the product key that came along with the purchase.

Reply for further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The installation is working fine now and I have figured the root to the problem. What you mentioned above may work for other issues, but it did not solve the installation issue. I honestly do appreciate your help in trying to solve the problem :)

Now, the true fix to this problem and for anyone else who has the same issue in the future is for those who are running more than "one" hard drive such as SSD + HDD.

If you have changed the location of your Temp Folder to a different drive other than Local C:
Then you need to change the temp folder back to its default location.

Step 1: Go to Start > Computer (My Computer)
Step 2: Right click > Properties
Step 3: Click on Advance System Settings
Step 4: Click on Environment Variables
Step 5: Change Temp & Tmp Folder back to the default location (C:\Users\Name (PC Name)\AppData\Local\Temp)
Step 6: Restart PC and the setup installation should work

I am no computer expert, but I have a thought. If you are using an SSD as the boot and HDD as the storage, then perhaps, put your HDD as your primary drive and SSD as secondary drive and change SSD to the boot drive in Bios. I don't know, but if your primary Hard drive is the SSD just enough space for boot, then you are out of luck with installing and that is why I gave this thought.

I hope this helps any future people who are trying to install MS Office 2010!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 5, 2022 Views 1,853 Applies to: