VinodKN
Had this question 60
Question
VinodKN asked on

"The file is corrupt and cannot be opened" error on office 2010 Excel while opening .xls files

I recently upgraded my office to 2010 from 2007 after that i am unable to open any .xls files created by previous version

no issue with the files because i can open it in 2003 sp3 and 2007 sp2 versions 

Ruchi Bisht
Found this helpful 197
Answer
Ruchi Bisht replied on

Try the following steps:

1. Open Excel 2010.
2. Click on File > Options.

3. Select Trust Center > Trust center settings.

4. Select Protected view.
5. Uncheck all the options under Protected View > OK.

6. Restart Excel 2010 and try to open Excel documents.

Black Barron
Found this helpful 2
Black Barron replied on

Can you give a sample file to test ?

Please give the exact error message, detailed steps to reproduce the issue and if possible a screenshot for the same

Do'nt worry dude ... there should be a way out :):)

BLACK BARRON

P.S : Please post back with the status of the issue. If this post was helpful to you, please vote for my post If this post has helped you resolve your issue, please mark my post as answered.
Ruchi Bisht
Found this helpful 197
Answer
Ruchi Bisht replied on

Try the following steps:

1. Open Excel 2010.

VinodKN
Found this helpful 4
VinodKN replied on

Try the following steps:

1. Open Excel 2010.

Thank you so much its working !!!
exNavyNuke
Found this helpful 0
exNavyNuke replied on

It worked for me too.  Thanks!
Black Barron
Found this helpful 0
Black Barron replied on

Thanks for the replies

Though this works guys, it is not that sage coz... this was introduced to enhance security in Excel....Use it wisely :):)

BLACK BARRON

P.S : Please post back with the status of the issue. If this post was helpful to you, please vote for my post If this post has helped you resolve your issue, please mark my post as answered.
-RpS-
Found this helpful 3
-RpS- replied on

I would add the following:

7. Once you have been able to open the document, save it with Office new format (i.e. xlsx)
8. Go to File > Options -> Trust Center -> Trust Center settings -> Protected View
9. Check all the options again under Protected View -> OK
10. Restart Excel 2010

The above will set the security options normal again. Although the process of setting back the security is a burden, it is necessary because if not, then you could forget (as in my case =) ) and could open any file without security...

Thanks!

ageconSS
Found this helpful 0
ageconSS replied on

I tried the following and still it does not work.  If is because I have installed the 32 bit version of Office Professional 2010 with 64 bit microsoft windows?

Thanks

BP5000
Found this helpful 0
BP5000 replied on

Thank you!!! I've had this problem as well and have been digging around in the forums for awhile now trying to find an answer.  I was on the verge of posting a new question when I found your response.

THANKS!

Brian

kmruss
Found this helpful 4
kmruss replied on

This worked - but the dialog and action needs to be fixed ASAP - as it's happening with previous version WORD documents as well.  The file is indeed NOT corrupt - and until I found this, I had previously gone out to download the free 'Microsoft Viewer' program, installed it, and had to view with that and convert to PDF for a client.

Microsoft's software is better than this - and this major bug needs to be fixed ASAP before it hits most of mainstream by at LEAST giving us the option to open the file (a security  warning perhaps) and NOT saying the file is corrupt.  I've never seen something quite this 'sloppy' in a final Office product in  my 15+ years of using Microsoft Office.

Kevin 

TeamDSI
Found this helpful 1
TeamDSI replied on

This did not work for me either. Could it have something to do with the .xls file being created on a Mac? I know with Office 2007 I would get an error opening .xls and .xlsx files created by a Mac (Data may be lost...etc). Since upgrading to Office 2010 I cannot get those same files to open.

I run Windows Vista and Office 2010 Professional. This is ridiculous... $300 software suite...

Previous Previous Page of 11 Next Next