Consume web services with Excel 2010

Hello

In Excel 2003 there was an addin that allowed you to connect to web services with your excel Spreadsheet and then use the data in pivot, charts, etc.

It's gone in Excel 2007 and 2010. Is there any option to use web services there apart from coding it in .NET? It would be so obvious so I do not belive it's not available OOB - you can connect to a SQL, ODBC, Access, text files, even consume web pages and not the industry standard?

Is there any "hidden" excel ability to consume web services? Or some workaround or 3rd party add-in? I thought about using the SharePoint connection, but it looks like it's not using the web services for that as well.

Paweł Wróbel Datapolis.com

Open excel and go to data->click on connections->you can add the websites you want to get connected with excel.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello I do not want to connect to a web page - I want to conect to a web service with soap - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_service
Paweł Wróbel

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you ever find a solution?  I've got the same issue where I have an older spreadsheet that uses the 2003 Excel Web Services add-in and would like to upgrade to current version of Excel.

jbr

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have not found a solution for calling SOAP web services.  It seems that the best solution would be to write an Excel plugin that can populate Excel data from calling a specific web service.

PowerPivot is a Microsoft Excel Plugin that can consume OData services - which is a type of web service, but not a SOAP web service.  It might be feasible to write an OData service that wraps the SOAP web service, and connect to that using PowerPivot.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 27, 2021 Views 3,757 Applies to: