Conditional formatting does not update automatically (Excel 2010)

Excel 2010 does not appear to re-apply conditional formatting when cell values change as a result of a formula.

For example, enter the following in a new spreadsheet:

* A1 = 1

* A2 = 10

* A3 = A1 * A2

Now, let's apply the following conditional formatting rules:

1. If A3 >= 1, then highlight in colour 1

2. If A3 <=-1, then highlight in colour 2

Scenarios:

i. If A1 = 1, then colour 1 is applied is applied to A3 -->ok.

ii. If A2 is changed to -1, then A3 becomes -10, but colour 1 is still applied to A3 -->incorrect. Selecting "Apply" in the Conditional Formatting Manager will apply the correct colour, though.

iii. If you enter -20 in A3 manually (i.e. you override the formula), then colour 2 is applied -->ok.

So, the issue appears to be with re-evaluating the formatting applied to formula-results.

I have my calcs switched to manual, but I re-calculate the workbook (F9 or Shift-F9).

Is this a known bug, or do I need to change any of my settings to overcome this rather issue?

Answer
Answer
Also walked into this one, discovered that format recalculation is partially disabled by default in Excel (well done MS for not recognising a problem diagnosis from Excel 2007).

Solution from: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/community/excel/66/10059693/conditional-formatting-in-2007.aspx

Just set up your conditional formatting in the cell's you want.
Make sure you activate the "Developer" tab in the menu.
Do this by clicking on the Office button, click on Excel options and in the "Popular" section check the box ""Show developer tab in the Ribbon".
Click on the Developer menu and go to the Visual basic view.
Click on the nemu View and select "properties Window". In that list you can find the "EnableFormatConditionsCalculation".
Set this value to "True" and the auto refresh will work.
Perform this action for all tabs in your sheet.

48 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 7, 2023 Views 63,302 Applies to: