Adding cell format options to Custom list

Excel 2010 / XP

Occasionally I add a new formatting formula/type to the Custom list in Format Cells / Custom.

Today I noticed that this addition only seems to apply to the spreadsheet where I have added the formula/type, not across all sheets.

What I am I missing?  What do I need to do to get a new formatting formula/type to be available in the Custom formatting list across all spreadsheets old and new?

Thanks.
Answer
Answer

The templates Book.xltx and Sheet.xltx do not exist when you install Excel. You have to create them yourself, as described in my previous reply. You have to do that only once.

When you have done that, Excel will use Book.xltx as template when you create a new workbook by pressing Ctrl+N or by clicking the New button on the Quick Access Toolbar, and it will use Sheet.xltx as template when you insert a new worksheet.

---
Best wishes, HansV
https://www.eileenslounge.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I don't know of a way to make custom number formatting available to already existing workbooks, but you can make them available in all new workbooks:

• Create a blank new workbook.
  • Create the custom number formats that you want.
  • Make sure that you clear both the contents and the formatting of the cells that you used to define the custom formats.
  • Set up other aspects of the workbook the way you want (number of worksheets, default headers and/or footers, cell styles, ...)
  • Save the workbook as an Excel template named Book.xltx (this name is obligatory; it is language-dependent, in the German version of Excel it would be Buch.xltx) in your Excel startup folder. The startup folder is

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

• Warning: the Application Data folder is a hidden folder, so you must show hidden files and folders to see it.
  • Also create a copy of this template with just one worksheet, and save it as Sheet.xltx in the same folder.
---
Best wishes, HansV
https://www.eileenslounge.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 14, 2022 Views 3,645 Applies to: