Clutch125
Had this question 2
Question
Clutch125 asked on

64bit Excel 2010 appcrash vbe7.dll

Sorry for the long post but this issue has me at wits end.

I have a rather large (600mb) Excel spreadsheet in MyDocuments which first started crashing about a week ago. The workbook is made up of five main sheets, each sheet is named after a year going back to 2007 and these sheets each contain approx 450,000 rows and maybe 20 columns of data. There are also 4 pivot tables each with a couple of fields and a few small misc sheets (one sheet hidden not password protected), a single small form and maybe a half dozen vba modules several of which are approx between 100-200k. Problem first manifested when I imported some new data, closed the form, saved the workbook, copied the workbook off to an external hd (as a backup) and then renamed the source file. When subsequently trying to open the renamed file I received the appcrash on vbe7.dll. Continued attempts to open the file and/ or repair the file upon opening fail.  My only choice is to then delete the file and restore a backup copy of the file -- this known good backup will open. I have tried all sorts of suggestions but none seem to work for very long, inevitably the appcrash rears its head.

I thought I was onto something last night when I had the file in the unusable state where it would not open without crashing. I then uninstalled SP1 for Office 2010 and uninstalled update kb 2553385 which pertains to vbe7.dll.  After the uninstallation of those items the file could be opened without issue. I spent several hours working with the file extensively last night, saving and re-opening without any issue whatsoever. Then this morning I copied the file off as a backup satisfied that I finally had another known good backup.  I renamed the source file and tried to open it, again appcrash on vbe7.dll! 

Any ideas?   Obviously something about uninstalling SP1 temporarily 'fixed' things but only temporarily.  Does this point to some type of registry issue? Like maybe a portion of the registry is cleaned out or reset and then some series of actions with this large file causes some 'bad' registry entries?

Thanks,

Mike