you have exceeded the maximum number of pages in Word

I've only seen threads at least a year old on this subject, and there were several grumpy posters when they were added to.

My computer started doing this within the last 3 months, and on documents that are relatively small (<200 pages, <1 MB)  My IT guys have no clue.  It happens with both .doc and .docx files.  It seems to happen more often in documents with multiple links in them, which is a huge problem as I often have documents with captions, table of contents, list of figures, list of tables.  Does Word not work if one tries to use the full functionality of the program?  How do I fix this?  I have done a riduculous amount of rework the last few months.  Pretty soon my hand will be going through my monitor.

I'm running Office 2007 with Windows 7 Enterprise OS, Service Pack 1,  on a  64 bit system.  This machine was designed to run modelling programs and should be more than sufficient to run Word and has run fine for at least a year.  What do I tell my HelpDesk to do to fix this?   

Word has always had cryptic or misleading error messages at times. This may be one of them. This likely has nothing to do with the size of the document(s).

Any chance you were at any time messing around with the so-called Master Documents Feature?

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Could you share an example document which exhibits the problem? Upload the file to SkyDrive, make it public, and post a link in this thread.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope, not using a master document.  I do have captions, endnotes, cross references and headers.

Stefan, no I can't upload any of the documents; there are export and distribution restrictions on just about everything.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Stefan, no I can't upload any of the documents; there are export and distribution restrictions on just about everything.

Hmm, does that mean that you only see the problem in particular documents? Do they have something in common? Are they perhaps based on the same template?

If you copy the document, minus the final paragraph mark, into a new document, does that improve the situation at all? (If there are section breaks in the document, you must delete those first.)

To see paragraph marks (¶) as well as other nonprinting marks, click the ¶ button on the Home tab.
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been experiencing the same problem for several weeks now. The current document I am working on is a book which has a number of chapters (ie, headings with links to Table of Contents) and illustrations. What I have noticed is that after the chapter headings, and after the last paragraph before a page break, a 'section break' has been inserted when I changed the document from .doc to .docx. Could that have anything to do with why I am still getting this error message?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Changing the file format wouldn't insert a section break. Are you allowed to share this document (or a shorter version that still triggers the error message)?

Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Changing the file format wouldn't insert a section break. Are you allowed to share this document (or a shorter version that still triggers the error message)?

Good morning Stefan,

I am happy to share one of the documents but I'm not sure how to do it through this forum. I tried responding directly but it bounced.

Any ideas?

Phil Rutherford

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You could put the document in a public folder on your Windows LiveSkyDrive and then post a link to it back here.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 7, 2023 Views 1,828 Applies to: