Working with Master and Sub-docuemnts

Help please! I have a large report due in a week. I have several sections authored and saved as seperate Word files which I am treating as sub-documents. I am having difficulty with saving the Master docuemnt. Whenever I goto save the Master after inserting sub-docuemnts I am told there is a file permissions issue. But I have nothing else open except the Master docuemnt?!

what is the eroutine for workign with Masters? I have worked out the follwing via trai and error (the Help system in Word is AWFUL now! What happened? I type stuf in the Search field no "Master" or "Outline" and nothing is found. Hence why I'm here asking you for hep:)

Open new docuemnt

Goto Outline view

Insert Sub-docuemnts

Collapse Sub-documents

Save Master document

Is this correct?

Many thanks. if you can point me towards some god online help that'll be jsut great.

RHA

I have been reading recently that Masters Documents are starting to work in 2010 but still then flakily,  but am not sure in 2007.

One thing is for sure, Master Documents has never worked in Word and until I see absolute proof from every MVP on this forum that they work safely, I will not start using them.

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.htm

So in your case I would seriously consider combining the separate documents to rescue your project.

Word can handle very large documents indeed, both in page numbers and file size so don't be worried about that.

As an alternative, see the following page of MVP Daiya Mitchell's website:

http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

If in doubt, don't. ;-)

All the best

DeanH

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

What is the exact error message you get while saving the Word document?

Do you get this error while saving a file that has a master document or when you try to save any Word document?

Try the steps mentioned below:

1.       Create a test Word document.

2.       Try to save the document  and check.

3.       If you get the “File Permission error”   then refer the link below that discusses about the same:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wordcreate/thread/18d51e39-f745-487c-b12c-11eb950dc1f2

Ruchi Bisht

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would urge you to combine the documents into one file - http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.htm

[Moderator note: removed excessive quoting]

Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have to agree with the other replies, Master/Sub is a feature that MS keeps touting but after 20 years of trying still hasn't got it to work. Long ago, they added it as a "me too" feature to match WordPerfect, where it was a great feature that worked as advertised.

I used the feature in a large document 10 years ago in Word 97, but eventually had to give it up. Recently I tried it Word 2007 and in the Word 2010 beta, still no luck.

I have found that Word 2007/2010 on a reasonably current computer can handle surprisingly large documents. I have some up to 1500-2000 pages with lots of screen captures. Try merging (copies of) all of your files into one to see if it is workable.

If you have to come up with unified page numbering, you could keep your files separate until the final version.  I would suggest you keep the original sub files so that if you have to make changes you have the original source rather than the large merged file.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

IMHO, there is little of use that Master Documenhts achieves that you can't do via INCLUDETEXT & RD fields, without the risk of the grief that corrupted Master Documents can bestow on you ...

[Moderator note: removed duplicate signature]

Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am mystified by all this negative talk regarding Word master/sub docs.  I've used it for several books over various versions of Word and never had any real problems with it--until now, that is,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am mystified by all this negative talk regarding Word master/sub docs.  I've used it for several books over various versions of Word and never had any real problems with it--until now, that is,

In that case, consider yourself fortunate - and warned.
Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks—I'm convinced, and duly grateful for the warning.

One question about INCLUDETEXT & RD—are the include-text fields stable for many sections with varying headers and footers (specifically footers)?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jerry,

I've used them a fair bit and have never encountered any issues. One thing to be aware of when linking to source documents with different headers/footers is that you need to have at least a continuous Section break right at the top of the source documents, with the 'same as previous' for the next Section disabled. That's because the page layout, including headers/footers, from the source document's first Section don't carry over.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks—I was wondering whether the section break should go at the end of the previous linked document or at the beginning of the current one. Very helpful—I will give it a try.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 615 Applies to: