Word has encountered a problem and needs to close ... no fixes so far work!!

I have gone thru several of the postings about the Word issue "Word has encountered a problem and needs to close".  I repeatedly get this message when I try to attach a Word 2007 document to an email:  I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB disk space.  The attachment is less than 200 kb.  There are no Helvetica fonts used in the document.  I have changed the default printer from the Epson 545 to the Windows default.  The problems continue.  I regularly apply Windows and Word updates to the system, and I honestly believe that it is one of those updates from Microsoft that is creating this problem, but Microsoft is either intentionally ignoring the problem OR they don't know how to fix it.  I've seen complaints on the forum from Word 2003, 2007 and 2010 users.  I have seen some users saying they have found a solution, but many who can't seem to make anything work ... like my experience.

Because I bought the laptop from Dell with Windows 7 64-bit installed, Microsoft feels that Dell should support the Operating System ... like it is Dell's, not Microsoft.  Dell is saying that we now probably need to save everything on the system and reinstall the system to the state it was at upon delivery and I'll need to reinstall ALL my software and files, and "see if that works".  That is a LOT of work to do to "see if that works"!!!! 

I can't believe that Microsoft is being so cheesy about this and allowing this problem to go on and on and on for so many people.  Does anyone have any ideas to save me from having to do a complete system reinstall????

Answer
Answer

Is the email coverletter in the body of the email message or is it another Word document that you are sending from Word.

If it is in the body of the email message, the only reason that Word might get involved is if in Windows Explorer and\or the Outlook Insert File dialog (that opens when you select the attachment), you have the Preview pane activated.  If that is the case, click on the button to the left of the Help question mark under the Search Documents facility to turn off the Preview pane.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 4 Applies to: