Word could not recover Building Blocks.dotx

While working on a Word macro, Word started crashing. This happened 4-5 times in a few hours. At one point, the macro got into an infinite loop. I used Ctrl+Break to interrupt it. I don't recall if the first Word crash happened before or after the infinite loop.

After one crash, I got a pop-up message saying "Word could not recover an automatically saved document from the last session. (C:\...\1033\Building Blocks.dotx)

I have tried restarting Word and rebooting the computer. The computer reboots without errors and Word restarts without errors.

I searched the KB and found a link to a page that offered to fix the problem for me. Here's the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925175/en-us#FixItForMeAlways

The instructions said I would get a pop-up asking me if I wanted to Run something. But when I clicked on the Fix It button, I got a pop-up asking if I wanted to Save a file named MicrosoftFixit50722.msi. I said "Yes", it saved the file, then did nothing.

Is the problem with Building Blocks.dotx caused by or causing the Word crashes?

What do I need to do to recover?

PS: I did a search of my hard disk for "Building Blocks.dotx". This is what I found:

10/27/06 08:32 Building Blocks.dotx.save
10/27/06 09:32 Building Blocks.dotx
10/27/12 11:32 ~$ilding Blocks.dotx.save
10/27/12 11:32 ~$ilding Blocks.dotx

They are all in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1033.
Answer
Answer
If you still have the downloaded file MicrosoftFixit50722.msi, double-click it to run it. That may fix the problem, or it might not.

If the problem still exists after you run the Fixit file, use the manual steps in the "Let me fix it myself" section of the article you mentioned. Try Method 1 first. (Note: If you don't see a Run command on the Start menu, right-click the Start button, click Properties, click the Customize button, and check the Display Run option, then click OK.)

If the problem still exists after that, use Method 2. In step 5, if you don't find a copy of Building Blocks.dotx in that folder, just ignore the step and move to the next step.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 2,571 Applies to: