Word 2k7 Autocorrect line returns

Hi,

I'm having trouble in Office 2007 word. When I type out a word that causes Autocorrect offer "Press Enter to Insert" the rest of the word and I press Enter, it not only does not insert the word, it returns to the start of the next line on the page instead.

This issue is driving me nuts, can someone offer suggestions here? It was previously working in word 2003.

For example: 
If I type "Febr" it shows the little grey bubble with this exact wording: "February (Press ENTER to Insert)" . I press the enter key and it doesn't insert the full word, it just moves to the next line.  

any thoughts?

Thanks for reading,
- Mike
You are describing the AutoComplete suggestions feature. Note that AutoComplete suggestions for dates may be unpredictable in several Word versions.

Are you sure you are using Word 2007? The reason I ask is that Word 2007 only offered AutoComplete for dates, not for AutoText (Building Blocks).
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes it is 2007, forgive me I may not have the correct terminology for the feature. 

I know you say its unpredictable but is there anything that can be done? I personally can type out Febr, get the suggestion box to appear, hit enter and it finishes out the word, stays on the same line and allows me to move on. The user having this trouble though apparently gets sent on to the next line.

Yes I have even tried putting in the word as part of a bulleted or numbered list on my pc, works fine for me. 

suggestions?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm wondering if the user is inadvertently pressing Enter twice, perhaps because of a damaged keyboard. It would certainly be worth testing a different keyboard.

On the other hand, what's the user's primary use of AutoComplete? To add the current date? If so, you could install a macro that inserts the date. You can attach the macro to a button on the Quick Access Toolbar and/or to a keyboard shortcut; that way, it will be easy to run it.

Here's one suggestion:

Sub InsertCurrentDateAtIP()
Selection.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
Selection.InsertAfter Format$(Now, "mmmm d, yyyy")
Selection.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
End Sub

For assistane, see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 53 Applies to: