Word 2007 keeps reinstalling itself every time I open it

On my desktop computer every time I double-click a .doc or .docx file Word 2007 has to first reinstall itself.

I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I have Word 2003, Word 2007, and Word 2010 all installed on my computer. Before you tell me to uninstall the other versions, let me explain.  My clients typically use only one of those versions (though few use Word 2003 these days).  When I design templates and demo them, I have to open the file in whichever version they use.  Plus I have to test templates and files in the client's version and have to write proper instructions for their version.

In the past this was not much of a problem. Double-clicking a Word file would open the last version that I used.  If I needed to open it in a different version, I would first open that version of Word and it would take a few moments to configure.  After than, whenever I clicked a Word file, it would open in that version.

That still is the case for Word 2003 and 2010, but recently Word 2007 reinstalls itself every time.  Even if Word 2007 was the last version used, Word goes through the installation and configuration process again.  This doesn't matter if I open it by double-clicking a file or opening Word 2007 first from the Start menu.

My desktop is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.  My laptop is also Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with the same three versions of Word. Yet I don't have this issue with the laptop.

This behavior started several weeks ago after some Office updates.  However I've made those same updates to my laptop without any problem.

Any suggestions?
Answer
Answer

Follow the manual method in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2528748 but as you are using Office 2007, you will have to change the command to:

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

51 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
See the "Hacking the registry" section in the article at http://www.gmayor.com/toolbars_in_word_2007.htm.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 28, 2024 Views 17,487 Applies to: