Word 2007 is suddenly taking a long time to load and close

Hi,

Windows 7, Office 2007

At some point in the past year, Word 2007 started taking a long time to load.  I wasn't able to deal with it at the time, so trying to pick a restore point won't work.  I also tried to do a repair in Control Panel > Programs and Features, but that didn't help.  I wondered if someone knows some common problems that causes long loads for Word.

Obviously load speed is all relative.  The point is that it used to load in a particular amount of time, now it takes about 4 times longer, as if it is searching or checking for something and having to make other decisions during the load.  It takes a long time to save and close as well.

I wondered if the template setup could be a factor.  I had created a different template some time ago, but the slow down didn't seem to occur at that point.  I do notice, however, that in the My Templates view none of my templates have a preview available.  Could that be an indicator of a wrong setup somewhere?  That wouldn't seem to be the issue, though, because it's slow on close as well.

I guess finally, are there system issues that affect Word differently than Excel or PowerPoint which load very quickly on my system.  Are there caching settings or swap file settings that might have an impact because some other programs are taking up too much space in memory.  What's the quickest way to find out if Word doesn't have the same amount of memory it used to have, or more specifically, how much memory does it normally need?  Would I need to restrict system tray or other startup programs to help the problem?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Best Regards,

Alan

Answer
Answer

The slowdown could be caused by an add-in, especially if one of them is trying to connect to the Internet and timing out.

To check this possibility, press Windows key + R to open the Run window, and enter

winword.exe /a

to run Word without any add-ins (see this article about command-line switches). If that lets Word start up quickly, disable or uninstall the add-ins one at a time until you find the one whose absence solves the problem. It may need an update or replacement.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 20, 2023 Views 3,564 Applies to: