Will not allow styles to show in a new document

Hating Microsoft once again.

I am creating new styles in a template. Why can't I apply the style to any DOCUMENT I have that is not based on a template. I have created the style in a DOCUMENT, and it STILL WILL NOT APPLY IT TO ANY OTHER DOC. In other words, it is not even a selection.

Why have I spent all this time when I can only use it for the doc I have done it in.  And yes, I have clicked the Apply to Other Documents box in all cases.

This is seriously screwed up.

The template I created also does not show up in the template area, yet it is a template. Thank you MS for wasting my time ONCE AGAIN!! I will just continue to creating every damn document from scratch. Bells and whistles in MS--yeah, right! I am so glad I spent an hour creating something to have it be worthless.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

In fact, if I change the styles in a document, it will not even save the style FOR THAT DOCUMENT!! This is beyond f--ed up, but totally consistent with the crappiness of MS.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Where did you save the template? 

When modifying a Style if you select the radio button for "New documents based on this template", the modifications to the Style will be saved in the template - either the template that you have open, or that upon which the active document is based - and WILL be available to NEW documents created from THAT TEMPLATE IF YOU SAVE THE TEMPLATE WHEN ASKED TO DO SO.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The template I created also does not show up in the template area, yet it is a template. Thank you MS for wasting my time ONCE AGAIN!! I will just continue to creating every damn document from scratch. Bells and whistles in MS--yeah, right! I am so glad I spent an hour creating something to have it be worthless.

Word 2007 changed from the default in Word 97-2003 of saving templates to the user templates folder. It will save them anywhere and it can be hard to get to the folder you want unless you plan for it. You want to be saving a template in either the User Templates Folder or the Workgroup Templates Folder. The user templates folder is the folder that holds the normal template. Normal Template in Microsoft Word - How to Find or Open the Normal Template

It also made it harder to get to the classic FileNew dialog (although not as hard as Word 2013). File New Variations in the Versions of Word

I'm sorry. I skipped Word 2007 entirely (uninstalled it) and waited for Word 2010. The Ribbon is a shock for an experienced Word user.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am creating new styles in a template. Why can't I apply the style to any DOCUMENT I have that is not based on a template. I have created the style in a DOCUMENT, and it STILL WILL NOT APPLY IT TO ANY OTHER DOC. In other words, it is not even a selection.

Why have I spent all this time when I can only use it for the doc I have done it in.  And yes, I have clicked the Apply to Other Documents box in all cases.

What you are seeing is how Styles have always worked (at least back to Word 97).

In Word 2007 the Quick Styles Gallery was added. If you want to see a style there, you need to configure it to show up there. Otherwise, it is still in the styles list with all the other styles unless you marked it as hidden.

You have never been able to "apply" styles in one document to another document. If it is a custom style and you copy something in that style, the style should transfer. Otherwise, you need to use the Organizer to copy styles from a document/template to an existing document.

When you save style modifications to the normal template, the styles will be available to new documents based on the normal template. They will not become available to existing documents automatically.

Take a look at A Global StyleSheet in Microsoft Word? for some ideas.

You can import/update styles in an existing document by checking a box on the Document Template dialog (Developer Tab ) but this box should not be left checked.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

All documents in Word are based on a template. If you didn't explicitly choose a template, the attached template is usually Normal.dotm.

Whenever you choose one of the Set as Default commands in a dialog box, Word saves the changes you made to the attached template. Existing documents will not be affected.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 651 Applies to: