When a user clicks on an option button, instead of selecting it, the VBA window opens

Perhaps this is a cautionary tale about working at the edge of one's knowledge.

I'm not a developer but I know enough to be dangerous.

I use Word 2010 and my client's company (I just learned) is still using Word 2007.  I recently created a form template for them--a dotm file. The form initially used drop down lists but they changed their minds and I used option buttons instead. All along my client has been opening the dotm file and looking it over as I progressed through creating the form.

Now that I delivered what was supposed to be the final version she, for the first time, double-clicked on the file on her desktop to create a new document based on the template. When she clicks on an option button the button is not selected. Instead the VBA window opens. What did I do wrong? The buttons aren't properly grouped (because I did a lot of copy and pasting and forgot about grouping them correctly)--I can easily fix that.  But I can't see how that would be an issue. (Famous last words, I know.)

I'm fixing the grouping now but does anyone have any ideas on why the VBA window is popping up when my client double clicks on the template?

The only option buttons that can be put into the body of a document (in any Word version to date) are ActiveX controls, so that must be what you used.

If the Design Mode button on the Developer tab is turned on, then double-clicking an option button or any ActiveX control opens the VBA editor, because that's the default action for ActiveX controls in Design Mode. To stop that, turn off the Design Mode button and re-save the template. (You might have to make a small edit, such as typing a space and backspacing to remove it, to convince Word that the template needs to be saved.)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 280 Applies to: