Using Paste Special, I can convert a large table to an image but part of the table at the bottom does not appear. Is there an unseen boundary?

I am creating calendars using a table and to be posted on my website. I normally use "Print Screen" and "Paint" to convert my tables to images. However, sometimes I cannot get all of the table on the screen to use "Print Screen". So I need to find another way to convert large tables to images without breaking up the table, at least one calendar week at a time (i.e., the first week is one table, the second week is another table, etc.).

These are some things I have tried:

1.  I entered HTML code to float and connect two images without gap in between; I received this info from the creators of the website theme I am using. The problem with the code is the calendar and info is centered on the page and I was informed you can not use "float" as center. Do not want to use as "float: left" because it looks awkward.

2.  Without HTML float code, a broad black line appears between the tables/weeks; I understand it is called "padding". I could work with that if the line only appeared between the separate weeks (i.e., the first week is one table, the second week is another table, etc.). However, it does not work if the data in a particular week is very long and overflows into the next page; that week becomes divided with that broad black line running through and looks awkward and disconnected.

3.  PowerPoint does not like tables.

4.  I don't have a PDF converter at this time and am not sure that will even work. Otherwise, the tables look too small to "Print Screen"; re-sizing makes blurry.

5.  I discovered "Paste Special" which seemed to work by using the size 11x17; this way I could get a very long table/week on that size page. It seemed to be going well until I had a long table that encompassed two pages (using size letter/landscape). I moved the table to size 11x17 to get it all on one page. 

This is my problem:

Using "Paste Special", I highlight the table, copy it, go to another document or page, use "Paste Special" to paste as "Picture (Enhanced Metafile)". Although the table converts to an image, it is not picking up the entire table at the bottom.

I am flabbergasted! I have looked through MS Word, search engines and tried everything to discover why it is not picking up the entire table. Even though I transported the table from the size letter/landscape to 11x17, it appears that where the image stopped picking up the info from the table image is where the info stopped on the first page of the two-page table that was previously on the letter/landscape size.

Could it be still recognizing the boundary of the letter/landscape size and not picking up the info after that? And if so, how do I make it appear? What is more interesting, is when you click on the table that is now an image, it even shows the extra space where that data should be showing but it is not.

I am also open to other ways to convert whole tables to images if you have any.

Once I conquer this, it will be smooth sailing and I will be able to make as large of a calendar week that I want because the info/events will grow. I have updated info for my July 2014 calendar, but because of this dilemma, I am unable to post it.

Your prompt attention would be appreciated! I have my upcoming August 2014 calendar to do and hope I will be able to post.

HELP! Thanking you in advance!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You may need to reduce the size of the image to get it all to display as an object (your image) cannot span from one page to the next.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, Doug:

Thank you so much for your quick response.

You hit it right on the nail! Even though the info part of the table was on one page, I had part of the columns spanning over to the next page and didn't realize it was affecting the copy/paste process. So I copied the table with the info to another page, eliminating the extra column space, and it WORKED!

Thank you so much for being there. You were my last resort.

Thanks, Doug! 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Doug:

Sorry to bother you again.

We have conquer the problem of the bottom of the page not appearing for my table image. Now that that page is perfect, I am now encountering losing some of my formatting in other tables (i.e., font change, font size, some lines, etc.)

I have all the tables in the same document, but when I go to convert the tables with Paste Special, the image does not look exactly like my original. I tried making sure the font, size and spacing are identical to the original to no avail.

Any reason/solution?

Again, your feedback is valuable and needed.

Thanking you in advance.

Bennette

www.cinderelladesigners.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you send me some documents that exhibit the issues, I will take a look and see if I can determing the cause and a work-around.
Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, Doug.

Attached is the document with the completed tables as they should appear (July 2014 Calendar-17x15); I had to make the page size larger in order to accommodate my large table that I initially discussed with you. It came out perfectly. The other document (July 2014 Calendar-17x15-Template) is where I have been using Paste Special to create the images.

As you will see, the document I am creating the images in, the second page is the table I referred to you initially (table with missing data). This table copied and pasted perfectly; the font and size are the same and all the lines and formatting are in tact.

There are 5 pages/tables. However, for the first page with the Weekly headings, and pages 3, 4 and 5 all have lost formatting in some way.

Hope you can help me. I have confidence in you.

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule; especially on a Sunday. It is appreciated!

I look forward to your feedback.

Genuinely yours,

Bennette

(P.S.:  I did not see where I could attach a document in this taskbar so I created hyperlinks connected to my website.)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Doug:

At another glance, it appears some lines are missing for page 2 as well.

Thank you!

Bennette

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Doug:

Just following up. Any progress?

Thanking you in advance.

Bennette

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Doug:

Just checking in to let you know that I figured it out. My persistence paid off! I know from experience when you create a table sometimes it is easier to re-create it then to try to edit it.

Basically, all I did was eliminate using Paste Special. I highlighted the table and pasted it straight into Paint, which I never thought to do before because I thought you had to paste an image into Paint. However, it allowed me to paste the table directly.

From there, I cropped it, enlarged it and saved it as a .jpeg. I noticed in Word 2007, some lines were missing but I just added them while in Paint. However, when I finalized it, I was using Word 2010 and noticed I was able to maintain ALL my formatting. I was even able to enlarge the text font in the tables from 10 to 12 (so long as I didn't span into another page as you had mentioned).

It turns out that the broad line between the weeks actually worked to my advantage because it distinctively shows where the next week begins so I did not have to be concerned about the table/calendar weeks connecting. This is the end result:  http://cinderelladesigners.com/pages/calendar.

Thank you so much for all of your help. It was valuable and helped me conquer this issue. I hope this can help others who are having issues converting a table into an image.

Thanks, Doug!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, I missed your messages of July 14 where you posted the links to the documents. 

Seeing the documents, I wonder why you are using copy and paste at all rather than just save the documents as a pdf file.

However, it would really be better if the original document was set up as a proper table with each of the entries that starts with a title in bold text in an individual cell (of a separate row) rather than drawing lines across the table to (incorrectly in some cases) separate them.

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Doug:

To be honest, I don't remember how I started the process of creating the table. I obviously started out with columns and then started concentrating on the info for the particular days; therefore, it shows my info in a descending order.

I tried pdf format but it was too small; couldn't read it. To upload to my website, it would only provide a link to download; I want the calendar to be visible. The last option was to create the tables as images. However, I did try creating a standard table as you suggested, but because I would have to convert them to images, the lines went wacky.

At this point and time, I have to go along with what works. This works.

Again, thanks Doug for taking time out your schedule to assist. Your expertise is appreciated and valued.

Bennette

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 9, 2024 Views 4,109 Applies to: