Two numbering schemes and an automatic table of contents

I am currently working with a 250 page document with 74 sections. I have already inserted a continous page-numbering scheme and an automatic table of contents at the beginning of my document. I am also trying to insert a section page-numbering scheme that won't interfere with my other numbering scheme or my table of contents. I've tried both SEQ and PAGEREF solutions that I've seen on the Microsoft community, but I seem to get nothing but syntax errors and don't know why. I'm not terribly familiar with field codes and how they work, but have been trying them out on a sample document with no success.

Please help!

Answer
Answer

At the end of each Section of the document (other than the last) insert a bookmark with the name of Section1 in Section 1, Section2 in Section 2, etc

and then, set up the following following fields where you want the Section Page numbering to appear

In Section 1   { PAGE } of { SECTIONPAGES }

In Section 2   { = { PAGE } - { PAGEREF Section1 } of { SECTIONPAGES }

In Section 3   { = { PAGE } - { PAGEREF Section2 } of { SECTIONPAGES }

in Section 74 { = { PAGE } - { PAGEREF Section73 } of { SECTIONPAGES }

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters { } and you use Alt+F9 to toggle off the display of the field codes

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 91 Applies to: