Trouble opening a Word 2013 document with Word 2007

[Edit: If the likely source of the problem isn't version compatibility or you've never heard of such a conflict telling me that would be appreciated too]

A client that sends me documents to work on recently switched over to Office 2013 (we’re on Word 2007). Since then (or perhaps somewhat since then; this may be a correlation/observer bias problem on my end), I've had trouble opening some Word documents.

When I try to open a document, I get the generic "The file xxx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents. There are no error details available.

Here’s where it gets a bit weird. I can change the extension from .docx to .zip and see the contents of the archive and open/view various xml files. Furthermore, I can paste it into a shared directory with a Linux VM and open the files in LibreOffice without a problem (I have to work in Word though, so that’s not an easy way out).

I’m on a Win 7 machine running Office 2007. The files have come/created by different machines on the client's end without any discernable pattern—some files have opened fine. We asked on client to back-save and that seemed to work, but we can’t really keep asking them to do so.

I’m kind of at an abrupt dead end diagnostics-wise. In a pinch I can save the LibreOffice as a Word doc and move forward, but I’m not comfortable with that as a solution—these are 200-page books with lots of graphics, formatting, tracked changes and comments; I’d hate for something to get lost in the transfers.

Any thoughts?

Thanks~

In theory, you should be able to open 2013 DOCX files in 2007.  If they use features that are not supported in 2007 those features/effects will be degraded into something that 2007 can handle. Sometime the effect/feature is simply stripped out.

If you are concerned about 2007 vs 2010/2013 file structure issues, you can provide the customers with a 2007 NORMAL.DOTM or  2007 blank.DOCX for them to use as the starter for files they submit to you.  When they use these files their copy of Word will start in "Compatibility Mode" and disable all features that are not supported by 2007.  That should reduce the version conflict.

The error message indicates some sort of "corruption", or at least a condition that 2007 cannot handle.  Too bad they don't bother sharing the 'secret' details.

Changing the file extension to ZIP (personally, I prefer to do this simply by appending .ZIP after .DOCX.  That way there is no question about the correct original file extension.) simply enables Explorer to treat the file as a zip container. It is normal for you to be able to view the structure and to open the various XML sub files.  The XML files are just text only format so they are simple and can be read by almost any text editor.

Yes, using an alternate Office suite is often a valid way of handling file corruption.  But since your content is so complex and sensitive, I would personally prefer to ask for the file to be resent. It is a bother, but safer.

Have you tried doing an Office Repair of your Office installation?

Do you have all Windows Updates applied?

You could also try running "OffCat" to see if it finds anything worth mentioning

OffCat.exe- Trouble Shoot Office - MS Office Configuration Analyzer Tool - Test for corrupt Office installation - ID potential HotFix updates

2014 03 15- Microsoft Office Configuration Analyzer 1.2 now available

http://betanews.com/2014/03/16/microsoft-office-configuration-analyzer-1-2-now-available/

since you are

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the direction.

I like your idea about naming conventions. My way is a bit more clumsy--I have an 'experimental' subdirectory in my personal temp folder. I copy things over there to manipulate. That way I never worry about overwriting original files or whatnot. I also have instantaneous backups running, etc., but I'm paranoid like that.

There are bureaucratic and pragmatic blocks to sending them templates, so I'm hoping that it's a compatibility quirk or something I'm overlooking (e.g. an odd issue with deletions within tracked changes). I can't guess what that issue is, but I'm short on diagnostic issues.

Speaking of which, neither CAT or a repair install had any effect or showed any errors.

Another data point, Office for Mac 2008 wasn't able to open the file either.

Barring any suggestion, my next step seems a bit laborious, and would appreciate any feedback:

1. Verify that the file won't open on a Win 7 laptop equipped with an identical version of Office 2007;
  2. Install the trial version (or trial equivalent) of Office 365 on the laptop;
  3. Try and open the file from the laptop

If the file opens, I know it's some clash between 2007 and 365. If it still won't open, I'll know that the version conflict is barking up the wrong tree and I'll have explore other issues--or ask them to investigate on their end; I don't want to do that until I'm sure it's nothing on our side of things. That it won't open on a PC or Mac (but will on a non-Office Linux) machine suggests that if it won't open on the laptop the problem is coming from them.

Again, thanks~

Rhythm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 17, 2024 Views 2,449 Applies to: