Table of Contents - Words

When I create a word 2007 document from a template that has Heading 1 for an Article and Heading 2 for Sections, the word document looks like this:

Article I 

ARTICLE TITLE

Section 1.1            Title.   Words after the title.

And then when I create a Table of Contents. the words in the table of contents with respect Section 1.1, shows the addtitional words, not just the word Title and the Article Title does not show up   And it shows up like this:

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Article I 1

Section 1.1      Title.   Words after the title. 1

I researched and found the concept to create the TC Fields entries by highlighting the word Title and, click on alt+shift+O, and then  mark it.   And then go to the table of contents, click on alt+F9, and then do the following, hit alt+f9 again and then update the table of contents, and it should recogize just what I marked.   

type \f at the end of the field.

It will look as follows:

{ TOC \o "1-3" \h \f }

But this does not do it.

So does anyone know how to do this.  Thanks much.

Answer
Answer
And the TC field shows up as { TC "Section Title" \f C \1 "2"}.

And I update the full Table of Contents and it shows up as the following with the page numbers:

ARTICLE I Article Title

Section Title

So the point is, the words Article I and Article Title, show up perfectly.

But the words of Section 1.1, show the words Section Title, and not the begniing words from the header names Section 1.1.

I was testing a lone heading style and forgot about the regular text after the heading.  Yeah, you could copy the whole paragraph as a way to  ensure copying the multilevel list number, but then you have to delete all the regular text.  So, instead just type "Section 1.1" (with the appropriate number) before the section title in your TC code.

I only use TC codes when I have to and have never tried them with multilevel list numbers.  Had I known about the number problem, I'd have suggested my favorite method right off. So here it is for next time.

Type the headings and regular text  in seperate paragraphs. Apply the heading style to the first paragraph and your body text style (usually normal) to the second. Make sure that the paragraph space after and the text  alignment (left or justified) match in the two styles. This avoids funny spacing in the joined paragraphs.  Then put the cursor anywhere in the heading paragraph and press Crtl+Alt+Enter  to apply the style separator formatting to the paragraph mark (¶) after the heading.  The  paragraphs will appear to be joined but will retain their own formatting, and the TOC will be able to collect the heading.  There are no TC fields to input and probably no changes necessary to the TOC field.
Pamelia Caswell

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 2,677 Applies to: