Table of contents style

I am working on a four volume book.  For one of the volumes, the Table of Contents is a very ugly style and I don't know why.

The Automatic choices in the Table of Contents menu on that one all have a different style for the lines, with different leaders.  For example Level one has ........  Level two has .................  Their level has . . . . . . .  The type is also different from the other volumes.

This results in the ugliest table of contents ever.  The other three volumes of my work are fine with all lines having . . . . . .

I cannot understand why the automatic TOC is different for that one document, nor can I find a way to change it.

I tried copying text from it and pasting it into a new document, but it still gives me that ugly TOC. 

Answer
Answer
Sounds like the problem is the TOC style definitions.  Those are Styles TOC 1, TOC 2, TOC 3 etc

The simplest fix is to copy the styles from one of the "good" files to the problem file using the "Organizer":
  1. Click on Home tab > Styles group > Styles Pane launcher button to display the Styles pane
  2. at the bottom of the pane, click on the "Manage Styles" button
  3. at the bottom of the Manage Styles dialog, click on the (logically renamed (not!)) "Import/Export" button to launch the 'Organizer' dialog
  4. In the Organizer dialog on the "Styles" tab, the left text box should show your current document name, and the right one "In Normal.dotm".
  5. Under the right box, click on the Close File button
  6. Click on the Open File button
  7. navigate to the "good" file you want to copy from
  8. scroll down to TOC styles
  9. single click to select TOC 1
  10. SHift Click on TOC 7 to select all the styles between
  11. Click on the "Copy" button between the text boxes
  12. Close the dialog

If the styles have changed in the TOC, select it and press <F9>  to refresh the TOC

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2024 Views 6,436 Applies to: