Removing all line breaks in a document

I was recently sent a 500 page document to edit.  For some reason there are two line breaks between every single paragraph.  These are the ones created by using shift + enter.  If I check under line spacing for the document I can add a line before and after each paragraph but I can't remove them since they're not actually there.  Is there any way at all to select all of these and delete them at one time instead of going through the entire document page by page?  I working in Office 2007 Word.
Answer
Answer

Suzanne's instruction was to replace ^l^l by ^p (as you did not specify that you have a paragraph mark (produced by using the Enter key before the two New Line characters).  If you had specified that, the instruction would have been to replace ^l^l with nothing. (Leave the Replace with empty.)

What you need to do now is replace ^p^p^p with ^p or ^p^p with nothing.  Then, if you want an empty line between each paragraph, format the paragraphs so that they have the desired space before or after them.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 24, 2024 Views 3,208 Applies to: