Printing header pages of a multi section word document created in mail merge

I have created a mail merge document, and page 1 of each of the 36 sections is a header page requiring headed paper to be used. I do not have a second tray. I want to be able to tell word to print every first page all at once while I have the tray full of headed paper, then to print every other page all at once while I have the tray full or ordinary paper. It appears to me that word cannot handle this, or that the only way to achieve it is to actually write in the page range p1s1,p1s2,p1s3 and so on through to p1s36. However not all sections are the same number of pages. does this mean I have to then count every section to print the non headed paper pages, so p2s1-p3s1,p2s2,p4s2, until I reach p2s36-p3s36?

You can imaging it sound ridiculous to me. It would be quicker to print current page to an appropriate printer for each and ever page individually. either that or print current page for the headed paper pages individually, then print the whole document and shred the copied headed pages printed on normal paper, exchanging them for the headed paper pages.

I cant be the first person with this problem, but cannot find a solution in Microsoft help. surely there should be an option to say p1s1-s36 or p1s1-36, or p1sall.

Hope you can help

Answer
Answer

Run a macro with the following code

Dim i As Long
With ActiveDocument
    For i = 1 To .Sections.count
        .PrintOut range:=wdPrintFromTo, From:="p1s" & i, To:="p1s" & i
    Next I

End With

to print the first pages of each section and then to print the balance of the pages in each section, use:

Dim i As Long
With ActiveDocument

For i = 1 To .Sections.count
        .PrintOut range:=wdPrintFromTo, From:="p2s" & i, To:="p#s" & i
    Next i
End With

Replace the # in the second piece of code with a number that will not be exceeded by the number of pages in any section.  It won't matter if some sections do not have that many pages.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 606 Applies to: