pc and mac not compatible? How to change a cross symbol to a tick symbol on a legacy check box

Hi, I created a protected form with all the whistles, I'd mixed all types of controls, command buttons to hide unhide,  and added macros, VBA to clear, save to PDF, etc.... It worked brilliantly on my PC and other PCs, Unfortunately this must also work on Macs. 

On a mac, nothing works apart from legacy tools and when I tried to create the same doc on Mac, well, "argh" is the word. 

At this point anyone who knows how to get my macro word file to work on Mac is my hero. 

If not, I have redone the form with legacy tools only, but I really do not like the check box cross. is there a way to change the symbol to a tick? I have come across previous post saying there wasn't but I secretly hope that someone came across a new solutions since the last posts.

Thank you

Answer
Answer

What you see with the legacy checkbox formfield is what you get - a cross or nothing. You could, however, use a dropdown formfield with Wingding tick & cross characters for the options (you'll need to format the dropdown itself with the Wingding font) and, perhaps, a blank or empty box as the default option. The drawback is that all such symbols appear as nothing more than dots in the dropdown.

I note you say you've "mixed all types of controls", etc. Do note that content controls are not designed to work with formfields, in particular, and can lead to strange document behaviour. You should stick to one control type(formfield, ActiveX control, content control) in the document. If you use content controls, the dropdown checkboxes can at least be made to display correctly for selection.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 431 Applies to: