Office Word 2007 problem

Hello! I just installed MS Office Home and Student 2007 on my laptop (Windows 8.1), and this happens every time I try to open the docx file with Word. The program itself works perfectly fine when opened independently. I can also open the document straight from the Word, this happens only when I try to open a saved file. PPT and Excel work fine. Does anyone know where the problem is? Reinstalling and troubleshooting did not help. Thank you!

Answer
Answer

Try this:

For the error message “There was a problem sending the command to the program”, use Windows Explorer to access the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15 folder and right click on WINWORD.EXE then on Properties, go to the Compatibility tab and uncheck all the boxes.  It has also been reported that the problem can be overcome by editing the registry at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Document.12\shell\Open and deleting the ddeexec key.

NOTE:

As of now, the Compatibility tab for Office 2013 executable file is not available on Windows 8.1. However, as a workaround you may try using the Troubleshoot Compatibility feature and see if it helps:

Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15 and right click on Excel.exe and select Troubleshoot Compatibility.

If you think availability of Compatibility tab for Office 2013 executable file is important and want Microsoft to include it, provide your feedback through the following link:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-US/suggestions.aspx?origin=FX101741961&CTT=114

This tip is written for Excel, but you can modify it for Word

“There was a problem sending the command to the program”
“Windows cannot find ‘FilePath\FileName’, Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.”
Cannot find the file ‘path’ (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.
Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) setting

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211494

some other options

<snip>

Try doing an Office Repair

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg998767.aspx#BKMK_OfficeRepair Office 365 (2013) - Repair is same as earlier versions

</snip>

<snip>

I finally got fed up looking for Microsoft to fix this issue and decided to try the regedit solution and went online to find this again but could not locate this thread until after I had already found another solution that removed the /dde from the default string and replaced it with "%1" and changed the name of the ddeexe folder where yours replaces the command string with "%D"

I tried both and when I use the "%D" I was still receiving the warning but the file did open so I went with the other option

Here is the other link in case others need this fix as well

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c42f825d-b7e8-48c8-b5af-30563b839f09/windows-7-cannot-run-multiple-instances-of-excel-using-ignore-other-applications-that-use-dde?forum=officesetupdeploylegacy

I did this for both entries

Excel.Sheet.12

Excel.Sheet.8

Again this is Windows 7 64 bit with Excel 2013 in case others have an older version of Excel I believe there will only be Excel.Sheet.8

</snip>

<snip>

Have been using Excel 2010 for the past four weeks. Today, I went to open Excel documents in My Documents, I received theproblem sending the command to the program message. I was able to open Excel files previously with no problem and I am able to open Word and PowerPoint documents without a problem. However, I am currently able to open Excel documents that are in Recent Workbooks. Suggestions please. Thanks!

Try the steps given below:

1. Browse to the following location:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 14                       32-bit  2010
C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12                64-bit 2007

2. Locate the file EXCEL.EXE

3. Right click on the file and then click on the Properties option

4. Click on the Compatibility tab

5. Uncheck ‘Run this program in compatibility mode

6.  Uncheck ‘Run this program as an administrator’

7. Click Ok

8.  Verify the status.

</snip>

NOTE:

As of now, the Compatibility tab for Office 2013 executable file is not available on Windows 8.1. However, as a workaround you may try using the Troubleshoot Compatibility feature and see if it helps:

Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15 and right click on Excel.exe and select TroubleshootCompatibility.

If you think availability of Compatibility tab for Office 2013 executable file is important and want Microsoft to include it, provide your feedback through the following link:

I recently upgraded my office to 2010 from 2007 after that i am unable to open any .xls files created by previous version

1.    Open Excel 2010.
  2.    Click on File > Options.
  3.    Select Trust Center > Trust center settings.
  4.    Select Protected view.
  5.    Uncheck all the options under Protected View > OK.
  6.    Restart Excel 2010 and try to open Excel documents.

<snip>

1.    Click the Office (2007) button.
  2.    Click Excel Options.
  3.    Click Advanced.
  4.    Scroll down to the General section.
  5.    Make sure that the check box “Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)” is clear (not ticked).
  6.    Click OK.

</snip>

<snip>

I have developed exactly the same problem today and have carried out the steps outlined above.  Neither of the checkboxes mentioned above were checked.

I found another suggestion to make sure “Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)” is unchecked.  Sure enough, it was checked and this tip worked.

In 15 years of using Excel I’ve never turned that off so how did it happen?!

The only recent update was a Windows Live upgrade.

</snip>

<snip>

Rechecked my notes and traced the problem to an incompatible printer driver.  Used System Restore to go to prior to the driver install and Word works normally.  Now have problem with document not laying out correctly

</snip>

<snip>

Hey thanks not quite the same issue but the right pointer,

The compatibility mode was set to XP SP 2, so I changed it on both excel and word to Win7 and they are both now working thanks so much this isuse has been killing me.

</snip>

NOTE:

Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15 and right click on Excel.exe and select TroubleshootCompatibility.

http://www.dilloway.co.uk/there-was-a-problem-sending-the-command.html

<Snip>The problem was not related to the file or its content.  I could stop the message by changing the name of the file to end .doc without changing the format of the file content.

I searched for and found many suggested fixes for the problem ... and none of the fixes worked for me.  I eventually fixed the message “There was a problem sending the command to the program” with a change in the registry.  I edited “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Document.12\shell\Open “ and deleted the “ddeexec” key.  The “ddeexec” key can also be deleted from “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.DocumentMacroEnabled.12\shell\Open”.  A similar change may work for earlier versions of Word. 

For Word 2013, you can change the registry by right-clicking and saving  this file ...

Double-click the file after downloading to update the registry.  WARNING ... It is you that knows the situation of your own computer.  I cannot know about your computer and cannot be responsible for any unintended consequnces.  I have tested this process and I am confident that it is safe.  </snip>

<snip>

Basically I needed to be able to run all my macro enabled workbooks as administrator (because for some reason using adobe functionality in macros requires this), so I was not willing too succumb to having to run excel manually in Administrator mode every time I wanted to open a file.

when I changed the default for Excel.exe to always run as administrator, I would be unable to open an Excel file directly. I would either receive the "There was a problem sending the command to the program." Error or Excel would just open with no workbook. Then I would have to select the office button and open the file from within Excel.

I had a play with a shortcut to my excel file that used the Excel.exe application with the Filename as a parameter...Strangely this actually worked. So I next went into Windows Registry and amended all of my parameters for excel files to do this.

Here is how you can do it in Windows 7/8:

1. Allow the excel application to default to Run As Administrator.

2. Press the Windows Key and R to open the run cmd line ... Type in regedit

***Warning editing Registry Values can cause serious harm to your computer***

3. Navigate to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT directory and locate your excel file extensions

NB: Depending on your version of excel, these might be listed under the extension (.xlsm etc) or at the bottom by file type name (Excel.Macro.Worksheet.12 etc)

4. Navigate to the Shell>Open>Command property and right click on the command value (right hand section) and click modify.

5. At the end of the line of jibberish you will find a parameter (usually /e). Replace this value with "%D" including quotation marks.

NB: What this does is runs the Excel application with the full Filename and path of the file that you have tried to open as the parameter.

6. Repeat this for all excel extensions that have a Shell>Open>Command property.

7. Close Regedit, and test out your work by double-clicking on any excel file.

Hope this helps.

Sercho.

</snip>

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,945 Applies to: