Office 2007 hangs in Windows 8.1

I recently purchased an HP Envy23 with Windows 8.  Office 2007 (pro) installed and ran fine.  Then I (stupidly?) upgraded to 8.1 without making a recovery disk to downgrade if I didn't like it (I didn't learn about this till after I updated to 8.1).  Well ... Word 2007 is hanging whenever I ... save, use keyboard shortcuts, click and drag to select text, try to close a document ... you name it, I could continue the list.  I end up having to End Task in Task Manager, but then nothing I just did in the document is saved.

I spent a good portion of today double checking the updates to make sure I had SP3 and other recent security updates.  I've restarted my computer several times, as well.  Nothing seems to help.

I have installed no other software since updating to Windows 8.1.  I already ran my antivirus and malware software.  Both came back clean.

What updates should I look for, or what could you suggest I do to fix this problem.  My dissertation proposal is at a standstill until I fix this.

Answer
Answer
Have you tried repairing the Office installation as detailed in the Knowledge Base article at:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/repair-or-remove-office-2010-HA010357402.aspx

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 2,587 Applies to: