office 2003/office 2007 (compatibility mode), table of figures and captions

I am working with a Word 2003 document in a Word 2007 environment. The document is in compatibility mode. I have a need

to add figures and update the table of figures. The only way I can get the figure/caption option to work is by creating a new docx (2007) file

and then paste the contents of the 2003 file into this file. This method works but affects the file in terms of font and possibly other ways. Is there

a more efficient and effective way of doing this. Simply saving the doc file as a docx file does not work for me because the caption feature does not work (caption field stays all white/unpopulated).

Answer
Answer
Take a look at the settings for alignment and indentation for the Caption style. In particular, make sure alignment is "Left" (instead of, say, "Center") and that there isn't a (large) left indent specified for the style.

To see the Modify Style dialog box, you can type in the style name in the Apply Styles dialog box (Ctrl+Shift+S) and click the Modify button.

Note that the formatting mentioned above can make the caption text invisible in the Caption dialog box; this is an old bug in Word.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1 Applies to: