Need to make odd/even page headers

I'm working with Office 2007 Word and I need to make odd/even page headers that center the file name and put page numbers on the outside margin.  I've found headers with 3 text fields but they don't automatically put in the page numbers.  I need them to look something like this:

odd page:          325 (left aligned)           File name (center aligned)

even page:          File Name (center aligned)              326 (right aligned)

I haven't found a single header under Building blocks that have just those two fields without anything else.  I even tried using Plain Number 1 and 3 put you can't center the file name separately from the page number.  Is there a way to build my own and include them in Building Blocks Organizer?

Answer
Answer

Yes, you certainly can do exactly what you want. (I have no idea how Microsoft decides what to put into the building blocks distributed with the program -- they certainly haven't asked anyone who uses Word for a living.)

Be clear about one thing: Page numbers are usually placed at the outside margin, which is the right margin on odd pages and the left margin on even pages. That's the opposite of the arrangement you showed. If you agree, then reverse the directions below.

• If your current document or template is only one page, go to the end and press Ctrl+Enter to create a temporary second page.
  • Open the header area on page 1. On the Header & Footer Tools tab, check the box for Different Odd & Even Pages.
  • In the page 1 (odd) header, with the cursor at the left margin, press Alt+Shift+P to insert a page number field.
  • Press the Tab key once to move the cursor to the center-aligned tab stop that's part of the Header style, automatically applied to the header.
  • Click Insert > Quick Parts > Field, click Filename in the list of field names, and click OK.
  • Select the entire header and press Alt+F3. In the dialog, enter a name for the building block (include "odd page" in the name), set the gallery to either AutoText or Headers, set the category to General, set the Save In to Building Blocks.dotx, and click OK.
  • On the Header & Footer Tools tab, click the Next Section button to go to the page 2 (even) header.
  • Press the Tab key once to move the cursor to the center-aligned tab stop.
  • Insert a Filename field as before.
  • Press the Tab key again to move the cursor to the right margin.
  • Press Alt+Shift+P to insert the page number field.
  • Select the entire header and press Alt+F3. In the dialog, enter a similar name for the building block (include "even page" in the name), set the gallery to the same value as for the odd header, set the Save In to Building Blocks.dotx, and click OK.
  • The next time you shut down Word, you should be prompted whether to save changes to Building Block.dotx. Click Yes.

The two new building blocks will appear in the Building Block Organizer. If you chose the AutoText value for the gallery, they'll also appear in the Insert > Quick Parts > AutoText list; and if you chose the Header value, they'll appear in the Header & Footer Tools > Header list.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 201 Applies to: