Need to disable UNDO (EditUndo) in Word 2007 to prevent citations/source manager crashing

I have established the cause of word citations crashing with large number of references/citations/sources- see this thread.

To work around this problem I need to disable the undo command.

I have tried various macro solutions based on forum posts:

1) creating a macro with the name EditUndo to 'repurpose' the inbuilt undo command - this does not work in word 2007 and above
2) ActiveDocument.UndoClear just clears the stack at that time, but does NOT disable it, so is not a solution.
3) Save does not clear the undo stack in word 2007 and up (and like ActiveDocument.UndoClear it wouldn't help anyway)
4) Protect document does not help because I can't work with it while it's protected.

I REALLY need a way to switch off the undo function in word temporarily.

Can anyone suggest a way?

Note to Microsoft: You need to have a switch/setting to allow deliberate disabling of the undo stack temporarily (with warning messages).
Also you really need to work on the citations/reference handling code - there are a number of code limitations that have not been addressed in 2 generations of office - see the bibword site.

Answer
Answer
FIXED (kinda) in 64 bit edition of word for office 365!

I eventually found a phone number and got through to MS tech support. Uninstalled office 365. Re installed the 64 bit edition of Office 365 (MS hide this under the "languages and advanced options" link). Ran Update citations and bibliography on the problem doc. It ran for 3 hours and I watched the winword process go up to 3.2 Gb for a while. 

But it completed WITHOUT CRASHING!!

Therefore it is the memory limit in the 32 bit app that is making it fall over, BUT there has to be a smarter way to code this transaction both from a memory use standpoint and a performance standpoint.

Along the way, MS confirmed that the renaming the undo via a macro does not in fact disable the undo stack in word versions post 2003, so I was on-the-money blaming the bloated undo stack.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,795 Applies to: