microsoft office 2007 word or excel attachment opened with windows live mail, changes made then close program, asks to save, press save, document no where to be found

microsoft office 2007 word or excel attachment opened with windows live mail, changes made then close program, asks to save, press save, document no where to be found

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

That's because when you Save an edited attachment the save is to a temp location. If you wish to edit an attachment, on completion of those edits you use 'Save As' and save to a Documents location on the PC, with an appropriate file name. Then if necessary you add your edit doc to any reply mail as an attachment.
Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Palcouk,

Thanks for your response.  I know "Save as" corrects the issue.  However, I was told by a Microsoft representative that this is an error and it should open up save as and should not save to no where.  It there a way to fix this problem with Microsoft office programs?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That representative was wrong.

When you open a document directly from a mail message, a copy of it will be placed in a temporary folder on your computer, and when you make changes and save it, the revised document is saved in that temporary folder.

See the article "Lost Changes to Outlook Attachments" on the following page of fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website:

http://www.gmayor.com/outlook_attachments.htm

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Doug and Palcouk,

Thanks for your response.  Representative said he attempted it on his computer and it worked ok for him.  Unfortunately I did not find files saved in temp folder.  I really feel that the program should prompt you to "save as" so this mistake doesn't happen.  It is more efficient to double click on document in live mail, if you press "save" and close program it disappears.  Microsoft should make this local folder in which the file downloads too more user friendly and not allow user error. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Word 2010 and later versions open such files in a protected mode to save you from yourself.
Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No way to change this for Word 2007, is this a defect with the program?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No, that's just the way that version works.  However, as indicated later versions have a facility to help save you from yourself.

Same as a car that you buy new to-day, almost certainly has features that a car that you purchased in 2007 did not have.  You cannot however say that the lack of those features in the 2007 car are a defect in that car.

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I believe this is a defect with 2012 Windows live mail. Microsoft outlook 2007 works fine as does www.hotmail.com with Microsoft Word 2007.

I just tried uninstalling Windows Essentials and reinstalling, and it didn't correct problem.

A few months ago I believe I attempted a 2012 Windows Live Mail self run "fix".  Which corrected a problem I thought was one...  In order to open an attached file for Windows live mail by double clicking on it I had to save it first...  Which I want this function to come back.

can't find the forum I used to correct problem and it had me run a self run fix...  Below is another one

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/livemail-email/i-can-not-open-attachments-from-windows-live-mail/08d8b6c4-beac-41f1-abd4-8d305408712b

When I save the change it saves in Windows Live mail for the specific email for the email attachment opened, and no where else if I don't go to "save as".  Microsoft Outlook 2007 and www.hotmail.com doesn't allow you to do this.  I changed something in an attachment on Windows live closed Microsoft word, saved as it requested. Then I checked file on www.hotmail.com and the change wasn't there.  I just tried to change something, then closed and opened Windows live Mail and the saved change is no longer there.  This is exactly what is the defect.  Do you happen to know about the fix I did and if there is a way to reverse it?  

Thanks so much

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As I mentioned before, when you open a document directly from the email message to which it is attached, your computer makes a copy of the attachment in a temporary folder.

That is the way that it is designed to work; it is NOT a defect in the application as much as you might think that it is.

You should get into the habit of first saving attachments to your local drive and then use the File>Open facility of Word to open the file.

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for reply.  The file doesn't save in a temp folder, as I said it is no where in computer after saving.  It saves on specific email before closing Live Mail, when I reopen Live Mail the saved change for the file is now gone.  File is also no where in computer...

You are not allowed to do this with Microsoft office outlook 2007 or hotmail.com, it makes you go to "save as" for any changes done.  

I truly believe there is an error in 2012 Windows Live Mail.  You should not be able to press save and the file is no where in the computer.  As I said Hotmail.com and Microsoft office outlook 2007 make you save changes to the computer and open up "save as" automatically even if you press "save" as done in windows live mail when closing program. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,388 Applies to: