Macros in .dot files

I am running Word 2007 and have a .dotm template file which runs a macro. However, I need to create a Word 1995-2003 (.dot) version of this template, but when I tried to save the template as a .dot file, the macro did not run. 

Is there any workround to save the template as a .dot file but will enable the macro to run (or does it have to be .dotm)?   

Thanks

GregT

How are you trying to save it as a Word 97-2003 Template?  Did you select that option in the Save as type control in the Save As dialog, or just change the file extension.

Just testing here, I created a template in Word 2010 with an autonew macro in it, saving it initially as a Word Macro Enabled Template (*.dotm) and then used File Save As to save it as a Word 97-2003 Template.  When a document is created from that template in Word 2003, the autonew macro runs as intended?

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have no trouble saving .dotm files as .dot files and back again and maintaining macros. (Other features may cause problems, though.)

Are you sure you tried to save the .dotm file using SaveAs rather than a document based on the .dotm template. The latter choice will not bring the macros with it.
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 11, 2024 Views 1,745 Applies to: