Local Template vs Global Template

What is a Local Template?

All I am looking for at this point, please, is a simple and accurate defintion of what it is and nothing more.

Thanks and advance for any replies.

Answer
Answer

Here is my take on the question:

A Global template is an Add-in, which is a template that is saved in the Word Startup folder so that its features are available to all documents. 

Given that definition, references to the Normal.dotm template being a global template are probably not that accurate, though in the absence of any other template being attached to a document, it is the normal.dotm template that will be attached.

A local template would be a template upon which a particular document is based by the use of File>New and then selecting the template as the basis for the document that is being prepared.

I believe that the word "Local" should not be taken to convey any geographical attribute of the template.  A template that is located in a work group templates folder on a network is just as much a local template as one that is located in the user templates folder on the c: drive.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 6, 2023 Views 1,483 Applies to: