Line Numbering in footnotes

I am working on a document that HAS to have line numbering.  I need the line numbering to continue within my footnotes.  Everything that I have found says that Word just doesn't line number in footnotes.  I can do it in WordPerfect so I know there has to be some way, whether macro or whatever that will do this for me.  I am using Word 2007 but have access to Word 2010 if needed.  Anyone?

To do this in Word, instead of using the Line Numbering feature, you would need to anchor a text box in the header of the document and that text box would have to be located in the left margin and extend down the page.  However, you would have to have the text (including that in the Footnotes) all in the one font size and not have the paragraphs formatted to have space before or after them unless you did not mind if that space was numbered (the space would however need to equate to a single of multiples of a single line.  Such "line numbering" would restart on each page.

The following screenshot is a comparison between such line numbering (on the left) and the line numbering that is applied by the use of that facility in Word.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your suggestion.  That is not a bad idea but this is something that I would have to create weekly in different documents and I didn't have much luck with alignment.  What about a macro or something that can do it each time without much fuss?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Rather than a macro, create a template that has such a textbox with the numbering in it and then use that template as the basis of the documents that you create each week.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As Doug suggested, your best option is to make use of a template with the "numbered text box" added to the header.

For numbers to line up with text, use fixed line spacing (in both the document and the text box) and make sure that spacing before/after (if you make use of it) are multiples of the line spacing. It still won't be perfect.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 13, 2023 Views 1,013 Applies to: