JPEG to TIFF

I submitted an article to a journal and although they accepted the article they requested that the photos be converted from Jpeg to Tiff with alteast 300 dpi. I tried an online converter but then the image I receive on my screen is just green. Does that mean it has been converted or is this defective? What can I do to rectify it?
You would be better off asking this in a forum about a photoediting program rather than a Word processing program. You would likely reach far more expertise on your issue.
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Your image viewer application installed on your PC can probably also handle the conversion.

For example, I use free 3rd party "IrfanView" as my viewer. I is very easy to to a "SAVE AS" to convert format.
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

I have many images stored on file, If I need to change their file extension I usually open the image then click the File button then click Save As and then if you click the drop down arrow to the right of the Save as Type box this shows the different formats you can change your file to.  You could change jpeg to tiff.  Sometimes some types of file can't be open in certain applications eg PPT can't open a jpeg file, it will allow you to insert the image onto a slide.  If you open your image file in documents( make sure view pane is active)and right click on it then on the drop down list select OPEN WITH and choose an application with which to open you image file.  PAINT is a good one, this will open a jpeg file.  Once open click the small white dropdown arrow at the side of the FILE button this will open up a menu of different file formats, choose the one you want and your image will then be formatted to it. Close the application and you will see that your original image is still there, and also the one you've just created. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It shouldn't be green - that would qualify as defective.

The point of saving the images as 300dpi TIFF is lost if you don't have the original images in a non-lossy format. JPEG is a great format for photographs but it's compression algorithms does damage to the image. Converting that file to a TIFF doesn't repair these compression artifacts. Similarly, if your images are less than 300dpi then converting the image up to 300dpi is not going to improve its quality.

There has already been a suggestion to use IrfanView to convert the images. That is an excellent piece of software and the price (free) is good but you might already have other software that can also do the job. GIMP and Photoshop are both image editors (one free and one hellishly expensive) and both would also be able to do the task of conversion but there are many others.

Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2024 Views 2,550 Applies to: