Index and Table of Contents have stopped working. Just visible field codes.

Hi. I am using Word 2007 under Windows 7.

I'm having a problem with Word's Indexing and Table of Contents functions.

When I try to generate either an Index or a ToC , all I get is a field code where the index should be. In each case, this is what I see:

{ INDEX \h "A" \c "2" \z "1033" }

{ TOC \o "1-3" \h  \z \h }

I have successfully used both indexes and ToCs in the past, and I am confident that I am taking the correct steps in the correct order.

When I open an older document in which I had made a TOC that displayed and updated correctly, it too now only shows the field codes.

Now it gets stranger:

Just now while typing this question, I was going to paste the field code from Word into this message form (so as to avoid typing it) and when I selected it in Word and pasted it in here, what got pasted was the full index exactly as it should have appeared in Word.

Then I went back to Word and tried the same thing, and it just pasted the field code. BUT when I do a Paste as Text, I get the entire index or ToC, as expected (though without any of the ToC's styles, formatting, etc.) So the index and ToC are being generated, and are contained inside the field code, but only field code shows.

I have tried the same thing after removing (hiding) my default Normal template so that Word would make a new one, and got the identical results.

I have not made any changes in settings that would account for this, at least not intentionally. I've tried changing settings under Display for "Hidden text" and "Print hidden text" but that had no effect on index ot ToC generation.

What accounts for this?

Thank you

Answer
Answer
I figured it out.

I had the "Show field codes instead of their values" checked. (Under Advanced options.)

In my partial defense, the only reason that got checked (I was previously unaware of the option) is because I was trying to find a way to not show the index field codes during normal editing, and in hunting for that option, tried to see if that one might possibly be it. (I'd previously only used a the TOC, and that doesn't create field codes within the document, and so didn't have any reason to deal with the hide/show issue.)

Hope this helps someone.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 15, 2023 Views 1,788 Applies to: