In Word hyperlinks, # becomes %20-%20 in IE11 and " \l " in the field code.

In hyperlinks of the form URL#comment-number, # becomes %20-%20 in IE11 and the field code is " \l ". The webpage sends an error like Page not found or Internal Server Error. Correcting the link in the browser corrects operation.

Wood 2007 H&S is recently installed in a new, cleanly installed Windows 7 + SP1. Word has 36 updates including SP3 and W7 has 163 updates. Office diagnostics find no errors. This error did not occur with the same Office 2007 H&S in an earlier W7+SP1 installation on the same PC.

This fault occurs with Excel but the links are transmitted correctly from an htm file.

Answer
Answer
Further research did not resolve this problem but it has now vanished. Adobe has updated Reader XI to v.0.11.0.09 and I reset IE11 to default but neither helped. I have learnt that " \l " in the field code is normal. And I found a similar Question with 12 replies at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/word-2013-hyperlink-converting-to-20-20/4e8a2e8d-b889-4c77-8276-551b11e296d4 but I baulked at editing the registry.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2022 Views 2,627 Applies to: