XML <Tag> error (Word 2007 document)

Hi all experts,

I have a Word document, but I can not open it. Something is going wrong with it.

I'm trying to open, but is not possible. I don't understand why, and I don't know what to do to open it.

The document is created with Word 2007, and when I try to open it I give some windows messages (attached), and when I press OK button, in the end nothing happen! I tried to open it with some online sites in internet but still doesn't work.

In internet I read that exist some small software that make possible to recover Word documents, but for the moment I don't have a computer in my home, and in my office I haven't administrator privileges to install one of this software.

Can someone help me to recover this document. I appreciate a lot if yes, because this document is important for me.

Below is the link for this document.

Word Doc

Thanks in advance.

The Document.xml file within the document archive is corrupted.  It is probably that the document was saved directly to removable media or was opened while it was located on removable media.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Strange, I could not even open the document.XML subfile. I got a wierd error code, 80004005, that I can't find an appropriate explanation for.

Rido, edit your original subject line and add the words "XML <Tag> error" to it. That should attract the attention of the xml "experts" to your problem. They may have tools that can open the file, and if you are lucky, they MAY be able to recognize and fix the error.

Expanding on Doug's point, did you ever save the file to a "USB" drive? Doug is suggesting you did and accidentally damaged the file by not correctly shutting down the drive before unplugging it.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mr. Doug,

First, thank you for your quick response. And then, you have right, the document is saved in a USB, and after this, it not open. But only this document does not open. All other documents in the USB can be opened without any problem.

What is supposed to do right now?

Any suggestion or help might be appreciated.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Rohn,

Maybe you have right. Perhaps it is necessary to change the subject line (as you proposed) so that someone else might be interested to see my problem.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For all experts,

I want to bring to the attention of the experts again my problem. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it a lot.

Please read above.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem is that the document was saved to a USB drive.  Sooner or later, that is going to cause the problem that you are now experiencing.  In your case, the corruption of the document is particularly severe as it is not even possible to extract or copy the Document.xml file out of the archive so that it can be opened in an XML editor in an attempt to fix the problem.

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Instead of .docx extension  I decided to put .rar extension at my document, and document opened as a RAR archive. Inside of it is Document.xlm file. But this document can not be made extract.

How to proceed further?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That is the problem.  The Document.xlm file is so corrupted that it cannot even be copied and pasted.

Sorry, but your document is cactus unless you the resources of an organization such as the NSA to set to work deciphering it.

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 242 Applies to: