How to protect only part of a document in Word 2007?

I have a questionnaire set up (in MS Word 2007), and the first section I set up as a table, because they have to fill in their name, address, etc.

The 2nd part is a table with check boxes for Yes or No. I put the check boxes in with the Developer tab, but in order for them to work, I have to protect the table. When I do this, it protects the entire document, not just the table with the check boxes. I've tried highlighting just the table, but it still protects the whole document.

Is there a way to protect just the table w/the check boxes?

Answer
Answer

Depending on how exactly your questionnaire / document is set out, you can may be able to set the document up as a form (using form fields, similar to your check boxes) and that way, when you protect the document, you have the option of only allowing "filling in forms". People can then complete the questionnaire but not tamper with anything else in the document.

When your side bar is open for protecting the document, under Item 2, tick the box that says "Allow only this type of editing in the document:" then select "Filling in forms" from the box, then start the enforcement.

To set up form fields, search "Create forms that users complete or print in Word" in Microsoft Help".

This is probably the way to go.

Good luck

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 303 Applies to: