How do I redefine a keyboard shortcut?

Split from this thread.

Good evening,

I would like to ask if there is the possibility to redefine this shortcut (Shift+ F5) in Word (2007)?

Cause I could not find the name asigned to this shortcut in my native language (in english, I guess, it's "Go Back" or descriptive: "Return to the last edit spot" (as I browsed the internet)). I' ve found (in Word) in Word Options -> customize -> all commands only a command, which I don't know if it corresponds to Go Back, but it has no icon assigned and what's more when I click "Shortcuts: Customize tab", there is no such command (among All commands). Therefrom I guess, this shortcut command is not customizable. But I know (from browsing internet) that there occures (by someone) -4 last edit spot, or -3 last edit spot. When I put this icon (which had no shortcut assigned) on the quick icon bar and tried, found out it's -4 last edit spot. When I try Shift+ F5, it cycles only in three last edits. Also found out there is either Shift+ F5 or Ctrl+Alt+ Z keystroke kombination assigned generally to Go Back. By someone, this works with Shift+ F5, by someone, with Ctrl+Alt+ Z (in different word versions, but also the same ones)... 

So I would like to ask if there is the possibility (to the first question), because I did not found the command to which this shortcut (Shift+ F5) is assigned in Word 2007. I woud like to redefine the shortcut, when it's possible with the least last edit spot, that means 3, to a more convenient, just the Ctrl+Alt+ Z case. 

So I would like to ask, if it's possible?

Thank you for your answer.

Regards, Jaro

Answer
Answer

In the dialog box called Customize Keyboard in English language versions, you can click in the "Press new shortcut key" box, enter any shortcut and you will then see which command is assigned to that specific shortcut (if any). Shift+F5 moves between the last three edit points, and you can't customize that behavior. (In English, the name of the command is GoBack.)

[Edit: corrected a typo]

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 385 Applies to: