Headers and Footers and Section Breaks

Hi.  I am having a problem with my Word document arbitrarily placing headers and footers on my pages, based on when or if I insert section breaks.  I have been all over the help screens and video tutorials about how to delete headers and footers, but to no avail.

My document remains the way I want it (I do not want to have to recreate it), except there are headers and footers on the last several pages of this approx. 8 page document.  I want no headers or footers!

Can anyone tell me why inserting section breaks before and after my text in columns on certain pages will result in headers and footers at random (thereby messing up my margins and how text fits on the page)?  Thanks

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

By default, header (and footer) content is linked when you insert a new section. You can delete the headers (and/or footers) if you first unlink them from their "neighbors" in the preceding section. Each section can have up to three headers (footers), and each type must be unlinked separately. To unlink, click to deselect the Link to Previous button on the Header & Footer Tools Design tab.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The headers and footers are not linked.  I checked and have also been all over that solution!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In that case open the header/footer view (double click the header) and access the section header/footer(s)  that you want to delete by clicking the next or previous buttons of the header/footer tools and delete the unwanted content.

Each section of a document has independent header and footer ranges (which may or may not be linked to the previous section) and as Stefan suggested there can be as many as three different header ranges for each section, depending on which options are checked in header/footer tools.

If they are unlinked as appears to be the case you will have to edit each of them to get the results you want.
Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you want to get rid of all headers and footers, just delete them manually as Graham suggested. Or you could use the following macro to get rid of all headers and footers in one step:

Sub DeleteHeadersAndFooters()
Dim s As Section
For Each s In ActiveDocument.Sections
s.Footers(wdHeaderFooterEvenPages).Range.Text = ""
s.Footers(wdHeaderFooterFirstPage).Range.Text = ""
s.Footers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).Range.Text = ""

s.Headers(wdHeaderFooterEvenPages).Range.Text = ""
s.Headers(wdHeaderFooterFirstPage).Range.Text = ""
s.Headers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).Range.Text = ""
Next s
End Sub

For assistance with the macro, see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you want to get rid of all headers and footers, just delete them manually as Graham suggested. Or you could use the following macro to get rid of all headers and footers in one step:

Sub DeleteHeadersAndFooters()
Dim s As Section
For Each s In ActiveDocument.Sections
s.Footers(wdHeaderFooterEvenPages).Range.Text = ""
s.Footers(wdHeaderFooterFirstPage).Range.Text = ""
s.Footers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).Range.Text = ""

s.Headers(wdHeaderFooterEvenPages).Range.Text = ""
s.Headers(wdHeaderFooterFirstPage).Range.Text = ""
s.Headers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).Range.Text = ""
Next s
End Sub

For assistance with the macro, see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

I have no idea how to do this.  Thought I could navigate my way thru, because I am no dummy with computers, but this is not working.  Have not worked with macros before.

Also, Graham's solution did not work.  I have been choosing "remove header" and "remove footer" followed by "next header/footer" or "previous header/footer" the entire week, and nothing works to completely get rid of these headers and footers.  There is really essentially nothing in them; they are empty, but there is a shaded paragraph marker on my pages, top and bottom, which indicate to me that they are there and need to go!  It is really messing up the rest of the document, as it moves other things that ideally there should be room on the page for, except for these stupid empty headers and footers.

Please help!  I can e-mail a copy of the file to someone if they think they want to look at it and see what I am doing wrong.

:(

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you activate the header/footer view by double-clicking the header, as Graham suggested, you can delete header and footer content manually (by selecting it and pressing the Delete button); that will always work (as opposed to using the Remove commands).

In order to run the macro, just do the following: From within Word, press Alt+F11 to display the Visual Basic Editor. Click View | Project Explorer. Click the Normal project and click Insert | Module. Paste in the code above. On the Debug menu, click Compile Normal. Click the Save button and close the Visual Basic Editor. You can run the macro via the Macros dialog box (Alt+F8). Make sure the problem document is the active document when you run it.

Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope - They are still there!  (and I followed your instructions for the macro precisely).  The other method doesn't work either-deleting them does not remove them, and appears to do nothing.

:(

Guess I might have to just re-create the entire document (again), and I am no closer to understanding why this happens, which was my objective, so that I can prevent it happening in the future.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just a note, that I am noticing that when the headers and footers arbitrarily appear in the document, it changes my "breaks" on the previous page.  For instance, I have a list (prayer list), which is a bulleted list inside of a header line of text, for which I want to break into two columns, so that (only) this list is side by side.  I have been using "continuous" breaks both before and after the bulleted list, then choosing "page layout", "columns", selecting "two" for only the bulleted section.  Then normally if I choose continuous section break after that, it SHOULD keep the text following that (one columned text) on the same page.

However, when these header and footer lines appear, it also arbitrarily changed those "continous" breaks to "section page" breaks.  WHY is this happening?  And how can I keep it from changing my breaks and page breaks around on me, substituting what I put there with something different entirely?

I really think this header/footer problem I am having is very closely related to how I am using "breaks" in my document, but again, I have read all the help screens and done all the tutorials on how to properly use breaks of various kinds, and once again, it changes them on me.

Any further help would be most appreciated.  Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When you first open a new document and when you have nonprinting formatting marks showing, you will see an empty paragraph mark (¶)  in the main document, but not in the header or footer. When you enter the header or footer, though, the ¶ is there. 

If, after creating header or footer text, you delete that text, the empty header or footer ¶ will continue to show when the cursor is in the main text (even if you included the ¶ in the delete selection).   AFIK, you cannot get rid of it.

If it is causing problems with your margins and layout, you can change its size to 1 point or set it to hidden.  If you have tried these things and they haven't worked, post back and describe the margins you want and how they are being affected.

Pam

Pamelia Caswell

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I misunderstood your post: I thought you couldn't get rid of the text in the headers and footers. But if the problem is with a remaining paragraph mark, hiding it, as Pam suggested, should do the trick.

Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 22, 2023 Views 15,196 Applies to: