Docx cursor stupor, ie unable to: Open to Last Saved Cursor Position

Hello,

I am finding that when i open my documents, especially my project of 110 pages, the cursor does not remember its last known saved position. 

I mean, when i save and close my document while the cursor is like somewhere on page 30, i use to be able to reopen the project and i would be taken to page 30.  But recently, when i reopen the document, the cursor constantly goes to page 1, line 1.  And its a p.i.a. to scroll down pages upon pages looking for the last place i was.

While i do know that i can set bookmarks, unfortunately this is not as convenient as it seems.

For one thing i dont always have time or memory to manually create one before closing the document.  

And its not like pressing a shortcut and having a old bookmark deleted then recreated with a new location, ie stopping point

Answer
Answer

Ok, fortunately I didn't have to do any programming and just used a programmers trick, ie steal code,  and copy over the macros from the link above.

Then just tweak away their html formatting. 

And I'm happy to report they "WORK GREAT !"

So at this time, i can now just click the SAVE button (or SAVE AS) then CLOSE the docx.  Then when its re-opened, the document will open to the last cursor position. 

For the benefit of other to use,  I copied the streamlined code from my Word2007, plus also added a pic of what the user should see on their side..

It easy to institute for the most part.  Just open up the Visual Basic Window in Word 2007, then copy, paste the below codes. Then save and close the Visual Basic Window and try it out.

Incidentally, as the below is a streamline of the solution, i suggest that the word user that may be unfamiliar with programming visit the link in the previous reply and then review those steps i omitted, which are the steps with setting word2007 for building the macros below.

Sub FileSave()

On Error Resume Next
    ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Name:="OpenAt"
    ActiveDocument.Save

End Sub

-------------------------------------

Sub FileSaveAs()

On Error Resume Next
    ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Name:="OpenAt"
    Dialogs(wdDialogFileSaveAs).Show

End Sub

------------------------------------

Sub AutoOpen()

If ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Exists("OpenAt") = True Then
    ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("OpenAt").Select
    End If

End Sub

-----------------------------------

Status - Off line

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 259 Applies to: