Document missing in Word 2007

Recently I lost 8 pages I had typed in Word 2007. I never deleted them and always used the Save function while typing and when I close the program. For days I have been looking around and using a repair program, trying and find those 8 pages, all to no avail. My OS is Windows 8.1. Any help in finding those 8 pages will be much appreciated.

quiet oneSF

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

So where did you save them to?

And if you search for that named file?

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

So where did you save them to?

And if you search for that named file?

After clicking File, I clicked Save... not sure where they were saved to, wondering if its on the hard disk?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If it was a new document that you had created, if you start another new document and then click on File and then Save, take note of the name of the folder in which it wants to save the document.

If the previous document was an attachment to an email message that you opened from the message, take a look at the article "Lost Changes to Outlook Attachments" on the following page of fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website:

http://www.gmayor.com/outlook_attachments.htm

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If it was a new document that you had created, if you start another new document and then click on File and then Save, take note of the name of the folder in which it wants to save the document.

If the previous document was an attachment to an email message that you opened from the message, take a look at the article "Lost Changes to Outlook Attachments" on the following page of fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website:

http://www.gmayor.com/outlook_attachments.htm

No, it has nothing to do with a new document or an email message. I was seriously typing this one document which when completed would run to about 30 pages. As you know, when typing docs it is good to click Save every now and then to avoid losing what you have typed. And there is no name or indication of a folder where the document is saved.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If using Word 2007, click on Office button to access a list of your “Recent” documents. If you didn’t give your document a name it would most likely have the name of the first few letter typed in the document. Check the list to see if it is there. You should be able to open it from the “Recent“documents” list

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When creating a new doc you need to use 'Save As' to give that doc a name & specify the location.

Simply clicking Save, may save it as a template, not an actual doc, or simply document1

Within Word, File>Options will show the default save locations

Contributor since 2006

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If using Word 2007, click on Office button to access a list of your “Recent” documents. If you didn’t give your document a name it would most likely have the name of the first few letter typed in the document. Check the list to see if it is there. You should be able to open it from the “Recent“documents” list

I understand this... been using word 2007 for 5 years and this is the first time a document ever went missing.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When creating a new doc you need to use 'Save As' to give that doc a name & specify the location.

Simply clicking Save, may save it as a template, not an actual doc, or simply document1

Within Word, File>Options will show the default save locations

Yes I know this, ie, how to name a new document. I did not know that there were different "places" to save a document, and since you mentioned it, on clicking the down arrow, I see there are 18 "places"  where docs can be saved. I also noticed that some of my docs are saved in Word Document. 

Since I did not delete the missing 8 pages, I'd like to know if there is any way at all whereby I can find them. I don't see them in the default save location, not even sure that I have accessed the default save location.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you don't know the name of the doc use the explorer search options, ie date and or Type

The default save location would usually be Libraries\Documents for a doc or docx file

Contributor since 2006

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you don't know the name of the doc use the explorer search options, ie date and or Type

The default save location would usually be Libraries\Documents for a doc or docx file

Yes! I know the name of the doc! Its a fairly long name, all in capital letters. Won't even think of making an important doc and not giving it a name. Can you pls explain how can I access it by using the explorer search options. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 146 Applies to: