Diffferent Margins for Different Pages, Word Doc, Word 2007

Dear Community,

I need to create a longer Word Doc -- with the the first 5-6 pages having sides Margins of 1.8 each.

Then -- I need the next 5-7 pages to have side Margins of 1 and .7.

Then -- I need the last 5-6 pages of 1.8 each.

I'd also like to change the Top and Bottom Margins for different pages in the same Doc.

Why?

I write direct mail, and must deliver a single copy deck -- for a series of mailings -- all with different dimensions.

Right now, I change the margins to write -- to make sure my Copy fits.

But when I deliver -- I go back to standard margins.

This makes all my perfectly constructed copy look sloppy.  Breaks from one page to the next don't look right, etc.

I would like to deliver a Doc that is more WYSIWYG -- What You See Is What You Get.

For any advice, I would be forever in your debt.

All the best,

Mike Castaway Rhode Island...

Answer
Answer

Thank you Charles!

By deliver, I only mean when I email the Doc to my Client.  That usually goes through fine.

The problem is, the smaller mailings look silly because the margins are too wide.

The bigger mailings -- vice versa.

One format is 8.5 x 11.  Standard.  No prob there.  The other is 5.5 x 7.5 -- Monarch.

So I write a Monarch Letter, a Standard Letter, then another Monarch -- but all must be delivered in one Copy Deck -- rather than three.

If I hear you correctly, I am better off using Indent than Margins -- and breaking the Doc into Sections.

But can I Indent both Left and Right?  I would not want to have the Left Margin 3.6 (1.8 + 1.8) -- if that makes sense?

I will look at Sections and Indents to break up the doc -- rather than diff margins for diff pages.

Thanks again!

Cast

You can indent both left and right. You will need to set left and right indents.

Sections are wonderful when needed but add complexity to a document. When only changing left or right margins on the page, they are not needed. Changing indents (again, using styles) is far better.

For a different page size, though, you do want a Section break. How does your printer handle the different sizes?

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

It does make sense.

The thing is that you can't print it at your location with the different page size; and putting the different margins in so you can print at your location means it won't work when you send it out.

Can you work with different page sizes in the three sections rather than change the margins?

You should be able to save as PDF and work with the PDF file locally.

Otherwise, consider getting a local printer that isn't fussy about page size from the multifunction tray. You can then use the different page size locally as well as send it off with that.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,400 Applies to: